Suggestion For The Next Guild Build!

thewoodwhisperer

It seems like small things are popular. IMHO, keep the small things for the free site, and the bigger, longer builds for the guild.

I agree we should keep the guild for larger or more complicated projects to help build our skills etc. Not sure about all of you but I have learned a ton building the last two guild projects and if we build a small box I just nont think I will learn a ton. Now don't get me wrong I have seen some outstanding small boxes that were a challenge but it for the guild?

Duane

www.foreverfighting.com B)

I think the Guild projects should always represent a challenge, new skills & woodworking techniques etc. The size does not matter at all.

Here are some of my suggestions for the spring.

1. If we go small I think we should do two projects say a wall clock & matching small box.

2. A project for the shop like a bench, miter saw cart or a couple of jigs etc you get the picture.

3. My personal vote is for a wall clock not your basic one something with some wow to it. :D

Duane

www.foreverfighting.com

I seem to be in line with most people here.

The Wall Cabinet: It would be awesome to have this designed with flexibility in mind. For some it might be a cabinet to store spices, others knicknacks, others medicine....or many of us, maybe a selfish indulgence and make it a really nice wall mounted tool cabinet. I've got cabinets in my shop, but none custom made to hold those special tools that deserve a place of reverence.

A Jewelery Box: I'll have no trouble finding a taker for this. I've always had a thing about 'secret compartments' in boxes and furniture. I think this aspect of it could be a great way to get some input from the masses - get people playing with SketchUp and proposing ways of constructing a secret compartment.

...and if these aren't challenging enough, we could always build a Maloof inspired rocker, Woodwhisperer style...maybe out of wenge and purpleheart. :P

Hello Everyone, Well my thoughts on this areas follows; yes something small would be great. This CoD is a real workout for sure. I have found something that even my wife thought was fun to look at and kinda cute to. It's a "Dancing Clock" found in Wood magazine this month. There is a good building story and templates in there as well to make everyones job easier. As always, ""Keep Makin that Sawdust""

http://a.imageshack.us/img828/360/8222010105416pm.jpg

HOW ABOUT A LARGER TYPE JEWELRY BOX BUT WITH PLANS FOR OPTIONAL LEGS, THEN WE COULD PRETTY MUCH DECIDE ON THE SIZE OF THE PROJECT WE WOULD LIKE. THE LEGS COULD BE SOMETHING ALONG THE LINES OF THE SHAKER WITH MAYBE A HIDDEN COMPARTMENT INSIDE THE APRONS OR SOMESUCH THING? W.

How about some type of simple stool with some shaping on the seat. Maybe like a shop stool or a bar stool.

What I don't want to see is any jewelry boxes. I agree with one of the earlier posts, a project like that should be kept on the free site, in fact you already did one. I never really got the whole jewelry box thing. Don't get me wrong I enjoy the process of building (anything)just as much as the next guy, but I'd much rather build something else. I mean my girlfriend and every other girl I've ever known for that matter already have plenty of jewelry boxes/storage, and I don't know any guy(s) who make jewelry boxes for themselves. Just my humble opinion sorry if I offended any jewelry box enthusiasts.

For a small project, possibly with Christmas gift in mind a box (options for jewelry, odds and ends, storage, pictures, cards, dominos, etc.) could offer lots of choices. True there are several instructional videos, books and plans out there covering this topic but not with the TWW twist. Small boxes are on my xmas gift list this year and I have thin maple and walnut stock. The box could grow to a writing slant top box, a tool chest or toy chest (or are those two the same thing) or even a blanket chest. A traditional tool chest and shaker blanket chest are on my To Do Wish list. I suppose we want to keep it fairly simple so a Jefferson or Sam Maloof style Book stand is out of the question, but certainly offers an unusual option. There are some sketch-up files available for boxes and chests that we could start with.Fine Woodworking has some plans and videos for both boxes and wall hanging cabinets, also a good place to start our discussions.

I agree with Marc's suggestion. Lets do a small project. Personally I'd like to do some shop furniture. How about a wall mounted plane cabinet?

I second this idea! I quality plane/chisel cabinet with an inlay of some sort would be just what I am needing in my shop, and would fit the bill of a small, cabinet based project.

Who wouldnt like a nice home for those expensive hand tools!?

I have seen several suggestions for Hand Tool (chisels, Planes) storage wall cabinet - I like this idea and I would be building something for the shop.

I also saw a mention of a box for Wine. If we go the multiple design box route, lets include a box for a bottle or two of wine.

Keep adding to the suggestion list, this is getting interesting.

I have observed several of your recent podcasts and feel a cabinet project may prove very beneficial. While a cabinet project may not be considered fine furniture it is an item many new wood workers need in their shops. Many shops are cluttered with tools because there is inadequate space to store specific tools. I felt that the project could be very creative... perhaps allowing for movable shelves inside the unit and movable drawers sets. There may even be a spot or area allocated for special tools. This may also be an assignment that would allow for a couple of cabinets that have special compartments inside. The ideas may be endless and perhaps unique.

This project could be very beneficial to your members and extremely beneficial for you.

You have disclosed that you may be building a new shop, are restricted for space allowing for your tools to be spread throughout the shop and that you will be building some shop items for the new shop.

I felt that the cost for the cabinet would be substantially lower than other projects, allowing for more members to participate.

As for your benefit:

1. The unit could be designed so as to be useful in your new shop.

2. You would have more (quality) Storage space.

3. You may be able to store more items in this one unit than a coouple of your current storage units.

Please keep in mind this is just a suggestion.

I like the jewelry box idea if we're looking to go small. One of my next projects will need to be a new dining table, but I can do that on my own. There are so many cool variations with the jewelry box idea: drawers, dividers shelves that lift with the lid, etc. There have been some really good articles in FWW about strategies for cutting the lid off.

On the other hand, I've always wanted to build a stand mounted cabinet a la James Krenov....

I only had time to read the first page of posts so obviously don't have all the input in mind as I write.

Guess I'd like to see something smaller. Typically in my own shop I tend to do a major project

and then follow with smaller project before tackling the next "big" things.

For Guild, one major project a year should suffice. And since we have many years to go,

we can surely cover everything.

The holiday gift building season will be upon us soon, so I'd like to see that considered when making decision for Next Up.

Regardless of project chosen, one key will be to have it cover some new techniques/tools. Repeating from older WW projects is not a problem for me.

Somethings take a while to sink in. And many newer members may not have seen the entire library.

Let's go small (but elegant of course).

Then next year we (ha, I mean Marc) can work on another major piece.

Watching any project is pretty much guaranteed to benefit me, whether or not I build along.

Nice being part of the Guild.

Looks like there is a lot of interest in Jewellery boxes and Hanging Cabinets, I support both those ideas.

I think one thing we have to learn from the COD project is not to make fish... er no that's not right, it's that not everyone will build along and on some projects, almost no one will. I think that's fine, it would be very difficult repeatedly picking projects that the majority of the guild will be able to or want to build along. But that doesn't mean the projects are not valuable to the guild. I know that I'll be building both the shaker table and the COD one day, both were designs to my taste. It just happens that my circumstances won't allow me to build along. I wonder what percentage of projects the audience built per episode of Norm or DJM ?

Marc I think you should keep this thread going as a Guild wish list and then you use it as a research tool to aid you in selecting ALL projects for the future. That way it stays in your control, but you know that you're serving the guild's needs.

Just my 10 bucks.