Suggestion For The Next Guild Build!

thewoodwhisperer

I'd actually like to do a chair. Norm did a leather "cigar chair" once that was pretty cool, something along those lines but maybe a design that would allow people to just buy the cushions if they didn't want to try to upholster it themselves.

It looks like people are wanting to do shop furniture, which I could also use, so maybe this is an idea for the spring build?

One day: barrister shelves that are modular, a stand, each shelf separate, and a top. Build as many shelf modules as you want height.

Another day, a couch table. If I do it, it will probably be an expanded shaker table, but seeing designs in other forms would be nice,

or possibly with a glass top and a deep display area/shadow box where one might otherwise put a drawer. If oriental in design, it could be a small zen/rock garden with glass over it.

I have even thought of a small table/coffee table with a z-scale model rail road in it. ... but that is just my musing.

Just a couple of thoughts while day dreaming. The Barrister cases is the most functional ... even seeing how to do it in different styles while basically the same case would be interesting to me.

Once we get a good list of ideas, maybe it would be cool to put up a poll to see about how many people would build each potential project. I really liked not only being able to build the project, but also being able to build it at the same time as a bunch of other people (like maybe 75 for the shaker table). The chest of drawers is a cool project, but I think there's less people building it, which is a little less fun to me.

Just my $0.02

Could you imagine the cost of the ebony alone?!

Knowing my propensity to cut things too short, I'd likely have to change the design to 87 keys.

Who cares about the ebony, I want to know how Bell Forest is going sneak all the elephants in from Africa to make all the ivory keys!

Once we get a good list of ideas, maybe it would be cool to put up a poll to see about how many people would build each potential project.

I'd be happy to do that, but generally speaking, people lie, lol. Seriously though, lots of people have the best intentions when it comes to participation, but real life has a way of intervening. Remember that the chest of drawers was the overwhelming winner of our last project poll? But I can count on one hand the number of people that are actually building along (at least that I am aware of). And there's nothing wrong with that since I too enjoy seeing things being built, even if I don't plan on building the item right then and there. The Guild is all about watching, learning, and participating as little or as much as you want. Judging from what I've seen so far, we are likely to get the highest participation level on the smaller projects. They are more feasible and less dependent on actually having a true need for the item. If you don't need a dresser right now, you don't have much motivation to build one. But just about everybody has room for a wall-hanging cabinet or a decorative end table.

And for those of you who are excited about building larger projects, worry not. I have plenty of large projects on my personal build list. I actually intend to replace all of my bedroom furniture in the coming years. This chest of drawers was just the first of many pieces. Other things I would like to do for myself are a coffee table and a couple different desks as well as a few outdoor patio pieces. So eventually I have to build all these things, whether for the free site or the Guild. All in due time.....

If you don't need a dresser right now, you don't have much motivation to build one. But just about everybody has room for a wall-hanging cabinet or a decorative end table.

I think you hit the nail on this one - although I am personally not a big fan of metal fasteners.

I think, instead of deciding on the next project, we should maybe make some sort of list of 'favourites'. Then at the end of each project, we can vote on which one gets picked next. Or if that's putting it too much out of your control, then you choose from the list?

Otherwise we're going to have the same suggestions each time.

I like small stuff, so boxes or some sort of small wall cabinet would be cool.

I think you have a very good idea. Make a list and "spin the wheel" at the end of the current project... personally, I think a series of slightly smaller projects might be in order. Just a thought.

John

Coffee table is a good project. My son-in law in St Louis wants me to build them a coffee table that has a recessed top to display various hockey pucks he has collected with a glass top. I have been trying to draw one up on sketchup. Still trying, I'll get there.

I think we should think of the seasons. A lot of southern shops are closed in the summer from the heat and a lot of northern shops are closed in the winter due to cold. If we make deck furniture, do it in the spring so it will be ready for the summer. Christmas presents should be made in the fall. A 2 month long large project in the heat of the summer is a no go for me. I'm sure it's the same for winter projects up north.

As I continue my chest of drawers project, I am looking forward to the next build. I have been scanning the "next guild build" posts and find them really humorous and informative. Especially like the piano suggestions. There are so many ways to go, but the general flavor is to go smaller. I personally am happy to build along on most any project. You, Marc, are our "leader" and have a great sense of where the Guild is headed and what makes it tick so well. Since you now have all of this input from us Guildies, how about putting together a short list of ideas and letting us vote on a project. It's understandable that not everyone will be thrilled about or build a current project. But over time hopefully everyone will find many suitable projects to make some sawdust. Whether one builds or not, it's still a learning and fun experience.

I think we should think of the seasons. A lot of southern shops are closed in the summer from the heat and a lot of northern shops are closed in the winter due to cold. If we make deck furniture, do it in the spring so it will be ready for the summer. Christmas presents should be made in the fall. A 2 month long large project in the heat of the summer is a no go for me. I'm sure it's the same for winter projects up north.

I think that highlights another reason for keeping projects small. Perhaps the one 'big' build a year, we should not expect many (if any) people to build along with. They are just 'demonstrations' and then we have 2 other small projects that we can all get stuck into. Obviously fresh ideas will eventually dwindle and the format will need to be shook up.

With the Holidays approaching I really feel doing some sort of small gift size projects that its easy to knock out multiples of (possibly something that allows some variety so each one can be somewhat unique) would make a good fall Guild Build. Band Saw boxes fall in this category, ornamental boxes, possibly incorporating some inlay designs. I know Mark has done some really beautiful inlays in the past and maybe working in more details on doing inlays for box lids or serving tray would make sense. Regardless with the holidays coming up I think a build intended for gifts is one of the better choices.

Jim "WoodWarden" Woodward