Suggestion For The Next Guild Build!

thewoodwhisperer

The jewelry box is a good choice it had pretty high numbers on the last poll and alot more people will actually participate. Although it is nice to watch and learn, participating in a build will be where most of us get the critical hands on experience that we need to become better furniture builders. You can watch as many videos as you want but you need to actually get into the shop and start cutting and putting things together to realy learn the craft. Another nice project would be a tool box or small tool chest, this would allow hand tool users a nice resting place for there tools and if you are not a hand tool user you can still store your hammers, chisels, squares and other small tools that you use around the shop.

Guy

Hello everyone,

I'm waiting to see what will be the next guild project to join the guild. If it's a jewel box, I'm in as I had already planned to do one for my wife for Xmas. So one vote for the jewelry box! But, I would also be in if the guild would do a sort of workshop cabinet to store my planes, chisels etc.

Just a heads up, I actually did a project for the Guild last year that was a wall-hanging tool chest. It wasn't a Guild build but the video is quite detailed. So we probably won't be doing any sort of tool cabinet for some time.

How about a FootLocker I saw one made of wood and it was terrific. :blink:

The holidays are coming up, and everyone is pestering me for hand-made gifts. I know a little girl who would love a jewelery box with a secret compartment, and I've always wanted to make one.

The next item on my personal list is an idea I had after watching Marc's videos. I need a French cleat storage system... for my kitchen! Made from nicely finished wood, with some decorative touches, and with movable, customizable units for holding spices, pots and pans, paper towels, knives, cook-books, etc. I don't know if anyone else would be interested, though. I grew up with peg-board in the kitchen, and I want something classier, and wood! And made by ME!

I'd be happy to do that, but generally speaking, people lie, lol. Seriously though, lots of people have the best intentions when it comes to participation, but real life has a way of intervening.

Just a thought, maybe some backed down do to the cost,more people may be able to participation if the project was on a smaller scale like the shaker table, which would make for more affordable kits from Bell Forest. Table approx $80, COD approx $500. Pat

Just joined the guild today so I figure I don't have much say. BUT I have looked through and see an opporturnity for the project to incorporate something for everyone. How about something like a halltree where details can either be done by hand or by machine for beginners like me. It can be new or an 18th century style. Anyway just throwing a shot out there like everyone else. Heck I'm good with a set of breathable laundry baskets for utility room.

I'm on board with the smaller project thing. Mostly because I have a huge amount of small cutoffs and such that need to be used up. Like most of us, I don't throw away any scrap and now I have all kinds of crazy exotics and such that I need to make something with. I agree with the Christmas gift bent so boxes, chess board, dart board cabinet, turning projects (gasp), laptop desk (I think I have a drawing of Jefferson's lap desk somewhere), hanging fretwork shelf could all be something good to try.

I think whatever we do should highlight a new skill so it doesn't really matter the form. Boxes can have simple joinery or you can pimp them out with crazy Japanese through tenons or use the box as an exercise in veneering and marquetry. Ooh now that I think about it marquetry has been on my list since I saw TreeFrog do that hummingbird piece. Whatever, just help me use up some of this beautiful scrap. My shop is too small to have this stuff piling up.

I vote for a small wall cabinet. Haven't been able to join last two builds but looking for to joining this time around. Thanks. Keep up the good work.

I'd be cool with a wall cabinet. The 25th anniversary issue of Fine Woodworking had a wall cabinet meant to be strong enough to hold all the back issues. Had some dovetails and wedged tenons.

If you guys can post links or pictures of these ideas, that would be very helpful.

Wow, a wall cabinet is a tall order. I looked on the internet and there are sooo many different kinds. Here are a few I liked.

Here's a couple of links to go with.

http://davidfinck.com/furniture.htm

http://www.theunpluggedwoodshop.com/category/more-projects

post-69-067971200 1283354981_thumb.jpg

post-69-059533900 1283354996_thumb.jpg

post-69-008747800 1283355006_thumb.jpg

post-69-065415400 1283355015_thumb.jpg

post-69-021968900 1283355025_thumb.jpg

Josh, I love this little desk. I saw it in the Smithsonian and took a bunch of pics. This is on my list for the Christmas season no doubt. Nice article in the FWW archives on a modern materials interpretation, but you know me I will probably go old school and build this the traditional way. It might make a good piece to build during my museum time. Visitors are much more interested when I am actually working on a project.