Suggestion For The Next Guild Build!

thewoodwhisperer

A cool chair

With the temperatures here, my first image based on your suggestion was a chair with a set of condenser coils mounted to the seat and back dragging off to a small heat pump unit. Now, that chair I'd build (and I'm liking the idea more and more). Marc likes mixed media... so how 'bout it? wood, copper coils, dealing with a lot of moisture, refrigerant, and a plug! (d'oh, the Neanderthals will moan...)

B)

I would join if the project was Tansu chests! (And it has the advantage that it can turn into a small project by building fewer boxes).

e.g.: http://www.woodworkersworkshop.com/store/Box-on-box_Tansu_Chest_Classic_Project_Plans_No._23.html

Cheers,

Brian

This would be a big project but I sort of remember a certian person (marc) that said he wanted to build a Tansu Chest.

I would LOVE to build one too.

How about looking at upcoming projects from a skill building and technique perspective? Highlighting what we will learn by building along with Marc may increase participation. Guild members would benefit too if they knew that a particular project demonstrated specific skills and techniques.

If we give some weight to techniques and skills it will give the Guild projects another dimension from which to view them.

What do you think?

That's definitely part of the plan Pete. In fact, on of my major goals for not only the Guild site, but also the free site, is to have something like an index of skills. For those larger builds, its hard to know that 5 minutes into the 4th part I show how to hand cut dovetails. So its definitely going to be very convenient for folks who are looking research particular skill, but don't necessarily care about the entire project. So laying out these skills ahead of time will be part of that plan as well. Excellent suggestion!

• 4 weeks later...

I thought the blanket box and lap desk were good ideas. They could be larger but not huge, and people might be able to use shorts up or save on cost depending on materials. They could be given as gifts, and there's a lot of options for joinery. I've always wanted to try building a Haida blanket box.

Guest Mahoganus

Ooooh, I like Mahoganus's suggestion... love the marble machine!! Maybe we could incorporate John E's squiggle wood:

WoW! That would be really cool, a marble machine with squiggle wood airguitar.gif

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

yes a router table with possibly different types of drawer slides. Maybe not using ball bearing drawer slides and going back to wooden guide ways with waxed runners! Seems like although this isn't a fine furniture project it's something that all woodworkers would enjoy. There has to be a reason why Norms and Tom Hintz router table plans are there best sellers!!

• 4 weeks later...