Suggestion For The Next Guild Build!

thewoodwhisperer

This may not be a topic for a guild build, maybe for the free site. I would like some detail information on how to make molding for a house. Doorway, windows. floor molding etc... You have talked some on moldings for furniture but it seems that larger molding would take more thought to do safely. moldings that are only an 1" wide you can make your router cuts first and then cut the width you need off of your larger piece of wood. if you want a molding that is 4 inches wide that is not too practical.is it?

I really like the idea of the guild building an heirloom quality grandfather clock at some point. My Great Great Uncle built one that is now a family heirloom (that I will inherit someday) and I woudl sure like to have one I have built to pass down to my future generations.

I know the bent lamination crib is likely the next build - it woudl be nice for those of that wouldn't have a use for that for a way to do something with the bent lamination for some other purpose (maybe a bed headboard/footboard, a coffee table or rocker or something) - just a thought.

I also had a good idea of a versatile future guild build that allows Marc to build something for the mini-Marc that is on the way. A diaper changing table/cabinet - this is useful because those without baby can instead build the table/cabinet as a mini-bar, or pie-safe, or a small dining room serving buffet. A table/cabinet is versatile and anyone can build it.

Another good build which every baby nursery is a rocking chair for those lat night feedings but this makes a good project for anyone with or without baby.

For the free site Marc - Wood Magazine featured this plan of a wood cover scrap book album - with baby on the way you need something to document all those memories: http://www.woodstore.net/scrapbookcover.html Doing something like this scrapbook woudl make a good free site project and provide you and Nicole with something to document mini-Marc's arrival into this world.

My "Shop" being limited to the size of my "living room, kitchen and hall" I must lean to smaller projects, other than for items I have immediate need for.

Fine woodworking mag, issue #72 has on page 76, a spice box, with hidden compartments. I would like to build some of these and try to sell them.

In Issue #75, pg 56 is an interesting jewelry box, with Tambour Top that opens when you open the drawer! Would love to be able to do a production run of this item as well.

As much as I want to make bigger items, like the A chair, I have no room for them once completed. Garage building put off for unknown amount of time.

Great Guild you have here Marc, glad I found you.

P.S. Have seen some nice rocking chairs for children, one has small chair on each end, like for a set of twins! Maybe?? lol

Spice Box.pdf

Tambour-Top Jewelry Box.pdf

I like both wgeils' suggestion for a futon, and Rob D's front door project. I have a need for both (in addition to the front door, I have plans to build carriage-style doors for my garage/workshop).

As for the front door idea, Clark Kellogg has a great series on a beautiful arched doorway he built (click Kellogg Door series).

I saw someone mention an interior door, but I like the idea of building a solid wood front door. I have one now, but it needs refinishing due to the peeling helmsman.

I will be needing a new front door too! Current one has too much glass in it. Was thinking about doing just that - building one. Would look out of place in this house, but what the hell! Right??

I say let's all vote to kick momwow out of the guild for suggesting such a thing!! lol Just kidding!

My wife already says that I spend to much time in the shop. If I was to try and build a eight sided ANYTHING, I would probably explode and get a divorce.

I really like the idea of either a bed or a Perfectly designed Workbench.

Move your shop into the kitchen and living room, like mine.

I also like the idea of a changing table/cabinet. It can be adapted to many other needs. I would love to do a crib, but not all others may feel the same.

I just keep picturing a crib that is half Sam Maloof and half Dr. Suess. I don’t know how to pull it off, but just imagine the place you’ll go.

Keep the suggestions going guys. Obviously with only a couple builds a year we can't do everything, but I will constantly come back here for ideas. By the way, we'll be announcing the next project soon. I have some really cool stuff in the works. But in spite of what I said previously about a crib, that is definitely NOT going to be the next build. Just too many liability risks. But I can assure you, you'll be happy with the choice of the next project. :)

How about a traditional (or TWW style) spice cabinet with some hidden compartments?

I've been thinking about a spice rack design for a long time. Inspired by TWW, my idea was to have a sort of plaque or panel as the back, with little french cleats spaced maybe an inch or two apart. By little, I was thinking 1/2" or 3/8" deep. Then, each shelf of the spice rack would hook onto the french cleats. Some shelves would hold spices that were usually used together, and I could lift a shelf off and bring it over to the stove. The shelves would have a back, sides, and a little "toe rail" so that spices wouldn't fall off. I could have other shelves for cookbooks, or anything else I wanted, and I could re-arrange the shelves and add additional shelves, or additional types of shelves, as needed.

Basically, taking Marc's french cleat storage system for the shop and making it smaller and up-scale for the kitchen.

I agree with Marc's suggestion. Lets do a small project. Personally I'd like to do some shop furniture. How about a wall mounted plane cabinet?

This sounds like a good idea. We have been building mostly non-shop items in the Guild. Let's do some shop related stuff...

I will be making a more "official" announcement soon, but I think I'll drop the first hint here. Do you know Roubo?

Roubo + new daddy = 18th century French changing table. This is gonna bring new meaning to the term "leg vise".

-- Russ

• Like 1