bending or cut curved surface

tombuhl

I've just begun playing with bent laminations.

Did 24-inch sample. Liked result.

I am currently finishing up a prototype small stool with drawers

[sort of a mini dresser to be like the big boys in the Guild build]

Drawer front is 13 inches. At that length the curve is quite subtle, yet good effect.

Question is, given that amount of curve and length,

[the center is 1/4 inch in/out from ends]

For the real thing, should I use the bent laminations as in prototype?

Or just cut the curve on bandsaw and cleanup surface.

Cutting would use less material

but somewhat change grain appearance.

Cutting also means thinner drawer front as I'll be using very special 1-inch material.

Any thoughts appreciated.

The legs also are shaped to continue the curve

Back panels are curved as well, and legs shaped flush with curve.

For those of you following the Guild Build, check out the top drawer pull

tucks nicely under the shaped top. Lower drawer is opened by grasping underneath drawer.

The large gap [3/32 inch] between lower drawer and divider is builder screw up, but since it is prototype I'm gonna leave it, rather than fix.

Thanks everyone.

post-357-006824500 1282667912_thumb.jpg

post-357-000609200 1282667913_thumb.jpg

post-357-043881300 1282667914_thumb.jpg

Either the lamination or solid wood will work fine for that, so I'd just go with whatever pleases you most. I personally think the lines of the lamination following the curve is a subtle, yet appealing detail. If you want to get even fancier, you could substitute another species of wood for one or more of the layers, which would give you kind of an edge banding or inlay look, but then you might want to repeat that species elsewhere in the project (like on the legs or something) to reinforce the look.

Anyways, looks quite awesome as it is :)

Hmm, if it were me, I'd be more inclined to go with a piece of solid wood. I actually have the opposite reaction to Mech's. I actually don't like seeing the lines. To me its more pleasing to see a curved surface with no discernible joint. Basically, I only do a bent lamination if I can't pull it off with solid wood, or if the piece simply wouldn't structurally sound otherwise. And for a subtle curved such as that, I would most definitely try it with solid wood. Do you have a preference in terms of appearance?

I agree with the solid wood for this particular use. Also, do you plan on attaching the drawer pull with dowels or some other method in the final build? The screws in an otherwise all wood build are a bit distracting. Just MHO...and sorry Tom, I know this isn't the critique corner. Feel free to tell me to bugger off. ;o)

re: drawer pull and screws. I felt I wanted more than just the glue. Hadn't really thought of dowels. I will strongly consider that. While it is a small drawer it could be used for something heavy-ish. Or being underneath a low top, it might be given stronger pull than an eye-level pull. Thanks Vic. I have thin skin, but am even more interested in developing my skills and expanding my vision. Thanks for input.

Hmm, if it were me, I'd be more inclined to go with a piece of solid wood. I actually have the opposite reaction to Mech's. I actually don't like seeing the lines. To me its more pleasing to see a curved surface with no discernible joint. Basically, I only do a bent lamination if I can't pull it off with solid wood, or if the piece simply wouldn't structurally sound otherwise. And for a subtle curved such as that, I would most definitely try it with solid wood. Do you have a preference in terms of appearance?

Thanks Marc and Mech.

Guess the best thing would be to make a sample band saw cut using the actual material. I have some attraction to the "rougher" look of visual construction in this case. But also have fondness for the more finished appearance.

Mech, I liked the suggestion of using complimentary/contrasting piece inside the lamination. In this case that doesn't fit my look. But might tuck the idea way for future project.

re: drawer pull and screws. I felt I wanted more than just the glue. Hadn't really thought of dowels. I will strongly consider that. While it is a small drawer it could be used for something heavy-ish. Or being underneath a low top, it might be given stronger pull than an eye-level pull. Thanks Vic. I have thin skin, but am even more interested in developing my skills and expanding my vision. Thanks for input.

No problem..you can see all my blood veins through my skin. LOL But, I'll always want constructive criticism, too. I should have told you I thought the piece was very cool, though. It is. The screws just threw me. I've seen some of your other work, Tom. You do a very good job!!! I envy your photography skills, too!!

Thanks Marc and Mech.

Guess the best thing would be to make a sample band saw cut using the actual material. I have some attraction to the "rougher" look of visual construction in this case. But also have fondness for the more finished appearance.

Mech, I liked the suggestion of using complimentary/contrasting piece inside the lamination. In this case that doesn't fit my look. But might tuck the idea way for future project.

Yep. If nothing else, I like to provide a point of view that's different so that when someone makes a decision, they know it's the right one. Glad I could give you some options:)

• 1 month later...

Hey Folks, an update here on the Bent Laminations or Cut and Shaped curved surfaces

The final project is coming along nicely. Made from the GreenerLumber LLC river-salvaged, old-growth Mahogany from Belize. Case of this stool with drawers is complete and has four coats of oil/varnish. Will add a few more. Top is cut and shaped, Final sanding today. First coat of finish on Monday, when my videographer comes over. We'll be creating some sort of video story of the project.

Decided to go with the cut and shaped surfaces for rear panel/apron and for drawer fronts and horizontal divider (tenoned to legs). Over the 13 inch span the amount of deflection is so small that we don't really get into end or odd grain patterns. That also allowed me to leave back side of drawers and panels flat, which besides making joinery/cuts easier, gives a nice substantial feel to it. And retains more of the precious material.

A special thanks to Vic for mentioning screws on drawer pull of the prototype. On final piece I used dowels (not through) and glue. Nice effect.

I'll post pix and video when complete.

Thanks to all WTO participants.

Want more pix? The link supplied has lots of 'em. Those are the gallery we'll use if we need images for our video, so images are edited, but later I'll cull the list down for better general viewing. ciao

My link

post-357-007762000 1287154121_thumb.jpg

post-357-025774300 1287154126_thumb.jpg

post-357-018170300 1287154129_thumb.jpg

post-357-052271800 1287154130_thumb.jpg

I would go with the solid front. I probably would build a jig that will allow removing material from only one side of the piece being made. I think a router type jig that pivots or is a rocker jig of some sort. Might take a while to figure out, but the radius would be constant.

If I were doing this project I would have gone for the solid wood but that doesn't say you were wrong to do it with laminations. there's always more than one way to skin any cat. On the question of the drawer pull I would have made a shouldered dovetail and slotted it in. But like I say there is always more than one way.. If we all did everything the same, half of us would not be in business. Great piece for all that.

Pete

If I were doing this project I would have gone for the solid wood but that doesn't say you were wrong to do it with laminations. there's always more than one way to skin any cat. On the question of the drawer pull I would have made a shouldered dovetail and slotted it in. But like I say there is always more than one way.. If we all did everything the same, half of us would not be in business. Great piece for all that.

Pete

Hey Pete, if you check my Oct 15 post you'll see that in the final piece I did go with the solid rather than laminated elements.

Ah, a shouldered dovetail for the pull would have suited my sensibilities even better than the dowels.

Perhaps next time. Thanks for the suggestions. It is great to get a variety of thoughts and impressions.

Cool.