Card scrapers... Sharpen 1 edge or all 4???

So the card scraper was officially my first hand tool. I got the set from Lee Valley that came with like 6 different thickness, a file and the holder that let's you flatten your edge at a repeatable 90degrees, the variable burnisher, and a stupid holder that doesn't work. I love the variable burnisher because it allows you to dial in on the perfect bur. Now I've seen people flatten the 2 edges and put a bur over all for edges by using a file. I only work with 1bur on a card scrapper at a time and heres why. The first reason is for comfort, I'm really using alot of force in my hands to flex the metal, so if I have a sharp bur on all 4 edges that means my fingers are getting sliced open. You won't really feel it, you'll just see tons of giant paper cut looking things! The second reason I don't is plane and simple... It's a waste of time! Because you flex the scraper while in use that metal will inevitably wear out in the middle of the scraper creating an "arched effect" on a surface that is supposed to be flat. When this happens, the bur that you created on the other side is gone!

Is putting a bur on all 4 edges of the card scraper a waste of time??

This wood worker thinks so!

For me - I prepared all 4 sides of my scrapers, but I'm still fairly new to it so I only burnish one or two edges. I don't do a lot of scraping so it doesn't really matter to me.

However, if you are doing a lot of scraping, I think sharpening all *8* edges (4 sides, front and back) could actually save time so you could use all the edges before having to touch them all up again. It's probably all a matter of preference and also technique.

Vic, do you feel as if you get the same quality of shavings from all 4 edges or really just one edge of each side? It's take about 30 seconds using the lee valley jigs to flatten and then reburish the edge. So I feel it's just much more efficient for me to go back to flatten and reburish and use a good clean sharp edge instead of fussing with a bur that is no longer there or damaged from hitting the piece on my backstroke. But.... I was also doing some super heavy duty scraping on end grain bubinga and maple butcher block counter top. Need a clean bur to scrape end grain!

Brian, you may want to try honing the scraper on stones, I have found that it makes a huge difference in how long you go between having to re-tune your scraper. Some feel it's not worth the time but you won't know till try.

I only sharpen the long edges, I trie a few times with the short sides but ithe burr never held up like the long edges. I would assume it is because, like wood, metal has a "grain" direction. I have a scraper that I cut pieces off for scratch stock and I grab that when I need a smaller scraper. Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

Ok, so I had I some time to do some more scraping today ( finishing up 5 end grain cutting boards) and Nate, using my stones instead of using the file made such a HUGE difference in how long the bur lasted on my scraper. Something else I noticed in using the stones is how after I rolled the bur I could barely even feel it. So my new technique will be to flatten both long ends with the stones but only roll one bur at a time! I love the card scraper. So simple, yet so versatile!

I do get 4 good edges. I use them as a final step, if possible. I kind of hate sanding. I don't do a very big burr and it seems to not be as fragile. I just go for really sharp.

Vic, do you feel as if you get the same quality of shavings from all 4 edges or really just one edge of each side? It's take about 30 seconds using the lee valley jigs to flatten and then reburish the edge. So I feel it's just much more efficient for me to go back to flatten and reburish and use a good clean sharp edge instead of fussing with a bur that is no longer there or damaged from hitting the piece on my backstroke. But.... I was also doing some super heavy duty scraping on end grain bubinga and maple butcher block counter top. Need a clean bur to scrape end grain!