Raised Panel Bit Question

mikem

There was another discussion on raising panels, and I thought I would raise a question with an issue I have had with my bit.

I wanted to get your thoughts on issue I have had with my panel raising bit. I think the issue is a cheap bit, but I wanted to see if I was using the wrong technique. I bought the bit as a set many years ago for making raised panel cabinet doors when I was doing a bathroom remodel. When doing the end grain, it was very rough where fibers of the grain had torn out. Those doors were made from pine, so I figured the softwood with maybe taking too big of cut for each pass with the speed too high. For that project, since the doors were getting painted, woodfiller with a lot of sanding gave me okay results.

I tried it again when building a cabinet for my planer using red oak. This time I ran the router at the slowest possible speed, and took very small cuts (less than 1/16") and it was still a rough result, not as bad as the first project, but still not satisfactory. In fact if this wasn't going to be used in the garage, I probably would turned them backwards and gone with the flat end out. I know since this is end grain, it will never be perfectly smooth. I even noticed the routed (or more likely shaped) raised panels on the cabinets at Lowes were a little rough, but nothing like what I have done with this bit.

The bit is a two wing horizontal roman ogee bit bought off e-bay, so it is not by any means a high-end bit. Before I purchase a new bit at significant expense, I want to make sure my technique isn't to blame. The router I use is a 2.25 hp Bosch 1617EVS mounted in a shop made router table.

The pine being soft was the reason for the roughness there.

For oak, though, you should be getting pretty clean cuts. I have a panel raiser I use fairly often and have that same router. For the panel raiser, I put it on speed 3 of 6. I notice that there's a point where a bit is going too slow to cut well, too. Give that a go.

Also, after the pine, is there pitch and resin on the bit? Does it feel sharp? You can easily touch up bits with those flat diamond sticks (look like tongue depressors). Just rub the stick on the flat part of the cutting edge (not the profile). My panel raiser is okay, but I've touched up others this way and it makes a difference.

Lastly, at 3 of 6 speed, you shouldn't have to take itsy bitsy bits off the panel. Don't hog all at once, but it shouldn't become a new career.

Okay, extra thought: on end grain, when I've done something way splintery, I've whetted the edge with mineral spirits before each pass. Soften it up a bit.

This is just something to take a look at, inspect the carbide on the raising panel bit. the edge should be square and crisp, if it is slightly rounded over it will cause tear out. I had an old time saw blade sharpener who once told me that a lot of companies made cheaper bits using carbide seconds that they bought. They look good but won't hold an edge. Maybe time to upgrade??