Butterfly Keys

tombuhl

I have two nifty planks of old-growth, river-salvaged Honduras Mahogany that I plan to use for desktops (or whatever idea pops into my brain next). Wish to retain as much of the material as I can. There is one check that I wish to stabilize and perhaps a couple of smaller ones that could be treated.

Thinking about butterfly keys in contrasting wood, or at the moment I am thinking of using HM and letting the perpendicular grain orientation be the contrast. Call me Mr. Subtle.

Anyone have experience with butterfly keys on the forum? Wondering if I should just do the “top” side, or should I stabilize the check from underneath as well?

Thanks

post-357-0-00004100-1327132678_thumb.jpg

post-357-0-42980800-1327132679_thumb.jpg

Tom, did you see this from a day or two ago?:

-- Russ

Hey Russ, I had not seen that. Think I had seen a similar approach in a FWW magazine.

In my case I don't want to lose any width and the check(s) are only 6-9 inches in on a five foot plank.

So think I will embrace the check rather than hide it.

Thanks for the link though. Good to have many approaches available to us in our adventures.

Tom -

I've used a router inlay bushing kit for a dovetail key before. It worked really well. Depending on the thickness, you might want to do both sides. I would use the same color wood for a key. It like the subtlety. Plus it will show the craftsmanship, without boasting about it... IMHO. :-)

Can't wait to see it,

Jonathan

=========================================================