Wood Mallet design drawings

Brian VanVreede

It was filled with west systems epoxy back when it was still a piece of 8/4 stock. I think it should be ok so there is only one way to be sure and that is to use it for the purpose I made it! If it fails and breaks somehow, I will identify the cause and resolve that issue with mallet #2. But hopefully I wont have to make another one out of necessity.

you might be able to salvage it if it does break drill a hole and have a tool and dye maker make a metal handle or turn a wooden handle for your mallet.

by the by im thinking of making my own mallet on the lathe anyone got any advice? types of wood? quarter sawn better then face grain ect.....

It turned out very nice. I noticed the lower splines ended up getting cut all the way off.

I have had things like that happen on projects, sometimes it is hard to envision how the angle cuts will affect the rest of the details.

I saw the doggie stairs on your Blog. I made a similar set of stairs for the shop and put a 4 ft tall handle on one side. You can carry it around by the handle and you have something to hang on to as you go up.

hard to tell on yours it could be or it could just be dirty maple. my box is spalted wood ambrosia is different. spalted comes from mold/fungis growing on the boards. ambrosia i believe is from bugs geting in the tree.

just a heads up you can grow you own spalted lumber http://www.finewoodworking.com/SkillsAndTechniques/SkillsAndTechniquesArticle.aspx?id=32484

i dont work with it with the kids much in classroom since the mold thing but i love the way it looks.

as long as were talking about man made figured wood i have making my own ebonizing solution and soaking boards. wanted to find out if the wood will become saturated and fully turn black. its been little less then half a month and my half inch thick cherry i have just cut off sample board and it has darkened about a 1/8 of the way through i expect that at the end of the month it will be almost completly black. then ill just need to get it to dry so in a years time i think ill make some stuff out of it. perhaps ill start producing boards to try and sell get some tubs and gallons of vinager and a few boxes of nails. thinking a full inch will become fully saturated in a couple of months just by the speed of the half inch stuff. anyone know if ebonizing solution goes bad?

sorry for taking post off topic