Hearing Protection

khill

Wasn't sure which forum this should go in. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with the http://www.lowes.com/pd_225781-98-90541-80025_0_?productId=3082311&Ntt=hearing+protection&Ntk=i_products 3m radio hearing protectors. It says they work with mp3 players, but I couldn't find a review online. If you have any experience with these or any other hearing protection that would work with an mp3 player please post away.

Thanks in advance.

I have a very similar one to that only it has a dial instead of the digital one on the side, but the radio does work as well as the audio jack for an MP3 player. It works very well and is my primary hearing protection in the shop. You do have to consider what safety glasses you use because that affects the amount of sound blocked out. I would buy them again.

-Gary

"Hearing protection is very impotant", said the hard of hearing man. I am all for it due to my own hearing loss over the last many years. I am also very counsious of shop safety. I think I would recomend aircraft noise suppressors over the types that are radio compatible. Marv Golden in Califorina, sells the ones I use in my shop. They are comfortable, lightweight and fit well. Also, the are bright red, which makes them easy to find.(He owes me a favor now) There are enough distractions in the shop that can raise the possibility of accidents. You have to be the judge of what to do in this area, the above is just my opinion.

I use a pair of shooting ear muffs when doing anything loud. IE, the planer, not the drill press.

I do use a pair of Skullcandy FMJ earbuds while mowing, weedeating, etc....they have a small foam "tunnel" that fits tightly into your ear canal. They really bock out the sound, and sound great at the same time.

I have a similar pair from Amazon (probably all by the same mfg) that I bought over 2 years ago and they've worked fine for me. I use them in the shop and while cutting the lawn. You can plug an mp3 player into them directly, but I end up putting this over my earbuds anyway. Just one more layer of isolation. Can't say the FM tuner is all that great, but then again all I use that for is getting the signal from my Sirius radio, which has a limited range anyway.

I just came in from weed eating, so those are sitting right next to me with my iPhone plugged into them. For the shop, I use a pair of regular shooting muffs and just have the music really loud. I find having the music in my ears distracting. If you need those in the shop, you need a louder stereo system!!