Chair Repair

danbell78

I was hoping to get some advice on how to go about a repair job on a dining room chair. One of our dining room chairs just had a leg break completely off. Unfortunately it essentially broke the round tenon completely off. Any suggestions for a reasonable repair? I do not have a lathe, or experience on a lathe so turning a new leg is not an option (unless you want to volunteer to do it for me!)

Thanks - I can post pictures later if needed.

When I worked in a refinishing shop, we used to repair chairs all the time. One way we would handle such a repair was to cut the leg clean at the shoulder of the tenon. Then we would drill a fairly large hole right into the end grain of the leg, as close to center as possible. We would then glue in a solid wood dowel that was the same size as the hole in the adjoining piece. Sometimes we would intentionally use a larger dowel so that we could widen the hole in the adjoining piece and expose some fresh wood for a better glue bond. Worked quite well in most cases.