ddean5

Pipe For Pipe Clamps

I noticed that black iron pipe are use with pipe clamps. I also noticed that black iron pipe can leave black marks on you work piece. My question; can galvanized pipe be used with pipe clamps?

I also only use the galvanized pipe which never rubs off on projects BC I put clear packing tape over the bar ala Marc Slags to prevent glue from sticking to the pipe.

Standard black pipe works fine and packing tape (or careful clamp layout) will prevent the black staining.

One caveat: The ugly, crusty surface of black pipe as it comes from the store is important for some clamps to function. Not knowing any better, I burnished and cleaned a set of pipes with the result that the sliding dog doesn't grab firmly. Hosed a glue-up making that discovery as I kept tightening and tightening while the clamp just kept sliding down the bar.

First off let me say I only use galvanized but either way with the galvanized or black if you clean the oil that is usually on there when you buy them from the store you usually will never have a problem again. Some simple dish washing detergent did the trick for me and my are clean and mark free good luck