New Yankee Workshop Online Back!!!!

mikem

Here. Also, the new incarnation allows you to download the video using RealPlayer. I just downloaded the router table video, but also ordered the DVD and drawings (because I want the drawings, didn't realize I could download the video when I ordered, and I like to support good web content).

Beech, how did you download the video? I was trying to watch it on the website but found it to be frustratingly slow with frequent stops so it could buffer.

I didn't have that problem, so it may be your download bandwidth, or maybe you were watching at a time the server was swamped.

On my system, I hover the mouse over the upper right corner of the video and a Realplayer box appears saying, "Download this video?" I think when I installed RealPlayer I installed a RealPlayer plugin for Firefox, but that was a long time ago and I wasn't really paying attention. I'm using Windows and Firefox.

I went to check it out. Seems like they are still having major issues with the site. BTW, you can record any live steam video using a video capture software program. I have never done it personally, but my friend's son records all kinds of TV shows to watch at his leisure later.

Just google "video capture software" and you can get a program for free. My first stop for free software is usually www.tucows.com, though I havn't been there for a while (I have been busy practising my sketch up skills).

BTW, you can record any live steam video using a video capture software program. I have never done it personally, but my friend's son records all kinds of TV shows to watch at his leisure later.

I tried several different video capture programs on the NYWS site previously, and none of them worked. But, after the hiatus, it was very simple.

The Deluxe Router Station video file is huge (536MB for a 24m2s video) and unless you have a very fast conection, it is possible (as it was with me) that it cannot download as fast as it plays. The result is a choppy playback with lots of starts and stops. I was able to download it without any software by doing the following:

1) browse to the page with the embedded player

2) view->source

3) extract the URL of the video file. In this case it was the .mp4 file

4) paste the URL into the browser bar. (I had to add the host name, it's a relative link)

5) when my browser prompted me for what action to take, I chose 'save'.

6) wait....

7) view in a compatible program

The only tricky part is adding the host to the relative URL, which is hard to explain, but easy to do.

I kind of forgot how many fasteners Norm uses to supplement the glue (e.g. biscuits, brads, screws).

• Like 1

So does anybody have any idea why Norm isn't on Ask This Old House now that New Yankee is off the air? He doesn't seem to be doing much on This Old House except occasional host type stuff. Just wondering if health or semi-retirement after 25 plus years on the air might be the reason.

I talked to Norm a couple years ago at AWFS and he said he wanted to focus on his school he is trying to put together.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...