Tool cases

man of wood

I have no idea why I still have them but I jus can't throw them out. We all think of creative ways to make the most of our precious space and then hord things like this!! Yep we are a strange breed.

And you're not even close to being alone on this! I look at that molded case and think, 'man...that's GOTTA be good for something'. Whether it's cases or reclaimed wood or pallets made into cutting boards, our bunch is notorious for "getting the goodie out of something"....my problem is I can see a potential use for practically everything so you know what I have to guard against....Sandford and Son. I get in moods and when the right one hits, I seem to see more clearly and go through the shop on a tare throwing things away. I usually do not grab too many 'good things'...usually the crap but the planets have to align and it then it grabs me.

And you're not even close to being alone on this! I look at that molded case and think, 'man...that's GOTTA be good for something'. Whether it's cases or reclaimed wood or pallets made into cutting boards, our bunch is notorious for "getting the goodie out of something"....my problem is I can see a potential use for practically everything so you know what I have to guard against....Sandford and Son. I get in moods and when the right one hits, I seem to see more clearly and go through the shop on a tare throwing things away. I usually do not grab too many 'good things'...usually the crap but the planets have to align and it then it grabs me.

I'm the same way...I stubbornly hold onto that garbage for years...then the week after I finally throw it out, I inevitably confront a situation that makes me say "Dammit! I sure could use that thing for THIS!" Happens. Every. Time. LOL

I still have some of my tools in their cases. Problem is that I don't have a storage cabinet yet to put the tool into, so they have to live there. (plus, it's partially outdoor shop, so I'm worried about rust and moisture: individual cases means I can toss a couple of silica gel packets into one and leave it for a couple of months..)

I'd rather not get the case, though, as my ideas on tool storage are usually different than the manufacturers.

case in point: about ten years ago, I purchased a mechanic's tool set from Craftsman. Some 200 pieces, each clustered with similar tools in sets inside plastic bags within a large cardboard box. most of them wandered off due to neighbors borrowing them (and other reasons I don't want to get into at this moment; still upset about it 6 years later), so I'm looking to replace most of the set. I still have some parts, but the cost to replace the missing parts is more expensive (even if I get set variety) than if I purchased another 200 piece set... and the blow mold case it now comes in. Even the sets are in their own cases, and I have slots and carrying cases to put the missing tools into. So I'd end up purchasing the set, taking the tools out, and tossing the case - or throwing the case into the trunk of the car and leaving it there.

If they'd take $5 off, I'd buy more. (or splurge on that torque wrench I've been watching for 5 years now...)

• 2 weeks later...

It seems I keep them for a while but in the ultimate battle for space in my workshop they lose and I take them to the dumpster. I just can't accomodate stuff that I don't use in my tiny shop. The only case I have retained is for my sawzall. That is a tool that I transport more than any others and the size and shape of the case fits well under my bench.