jbean26

Looking for some Advice on a dining room table

Hi all,

I'm new to the site and new to woodworking in general. I'm looking to build a table out of some Walnut Slabs for our dining room. I just wanted to see if I was going down the right path. I've found some slabs at a local mill and before purchasing just wanted some advice. They are 14' long so I'd be cutting down to about 7' and joining two slabs to get my desired width. I'm just wondering about the cracks in the wide ends of these boards I'd be using. I would stay away from the 7 most likely, though perhaps use those for something else. Also the cost on each slab is roughly 400 does that sound reasonable? I was going to do a biscuit joint to join them, though I don't have a joiner so I'll need to either buy one or borrow one. So what do you all think? Am I crazy or is this doable? Here are the slabs I'm thinking of using the larger ones that are still stacked.

post-0-0-51280600-1330965583_thumb.jpg

Thanks,

Jeremy

Yes, it is doable.

$400 per slab? Seems high. I don't know the width or thickness of each, but 14' long is $28.57 per linear foot. If each slab is 18" wide and 1-1/2" thick, that's $9.55 a board foot. That is high.

Hi all, I'm new to the site and new to woodworking in general. I'm looking to build a table out of some Walnut Slabs for our dining room. I just wanted to see if I was going down the right path. I've found some slabs at a local mill and before purchasing just wanted some advice. They are 14' long so I'd be cutting down to about 7' and joining two slabs to get my desired width. I'm just wondering about the cracks in the wide ends of these boards I'd be using. I would stay away from the 7 most likely, though perhaps use those for something else. Also the cost on each slab is roughly 400 does that sound reasonable? I was going to do a biscuit joint to join them, though I don't have a joiner so I'll need to either buy one or borrow one. So what do you all think? Am I crazy or is this doable? Here are the slabs I'm thinking of using the larger ones that are still stacked. post-0-0-51280600-1330965583_thumb.jpg Thanks, Jeremy

Price is WAY to high for the application. If you were going to just book match a pair and leave the live edge you will have to pay for being able to do that sort of thing. But if this is for a regular finished edge table then these are probably not the best option.

Don

Thanks to you both. Width at the widest point is 22" and they are 2" thick on average. yes we were going to leave a live edge on the wood, just removing the bark would be all we'd do to the edges.

The table we are hoping to be about 7' in length and it will come out too about 42-43" wide. We are leaving one side a live edge, just removing the bark. It will be a general rectangle for shape. That will leave us with two 7' pieces to use for something else like a bench or another table.

Sounds great. Do you have access to a cabinet shop or wood dealer that can put a straight edge on the boards once you have them cut close to finish length? Boards that heavy and long will be very difficult to join without some help.

How rough do you plan to keep the edges? Too rough and it might be difficult to clamp this monster up.

I do have access to a cabinet maker and we also live near Amish country with a bunch of different wood workers that I could chat with about that. We were going to keep the edges pretty wavy but hadn't thought about the difficulty in getting it clamped. Guess I might need to think about that. I was also thinking of doing biscuit joints if that makes sense.

Id just put in a single dowel if you dont have a domino. The dowel keeps the boards from shifting left to right. After doweled regular k body clamps will clamp the irregular surface just fine.

Don

I don't know about your part of the country, but anything around $9/BF for wide 8/4 walnut like that is a steal. If this stuff is air dried (which is appears to be) then it's even better. I'd be looking at closer to $20/BF in my area for something similar. Also, I wouldn't bother going out and getting a buscuit joiner for this. I've always found I get a better glue-up just by edge gluing and then using feel while clamping from one end to the next. My last project I did use dominos, and I found I didn't get any better results than when I glue up without an alignment aid.

I don't know about your part of the country, but anything around $9/BF for wide 8/4 walnut like that is a steal. If this stuff is air dried (which is appears to be) then it's even better. I'd be looking at closer to $20/BF in my area for something similar. Also, I wouldn't bother going out and getting a buscuit joiner for this. I've always found I get a better glue-up just by edge gluing and then using feel while clamping from one end to the next. My last project I did use dominos, and I found I didn't get any better results than when I glue up without an alignment aid.

Agreed - I have a biscuit joiner, and avoid using it on panels/table tops if I can. More than once I have assmebled beautiful panels, went to trim them, and cut into a biscuit. This really sucks. Also, if you use cauls you should have no problem with alignment (and cauls are made from scraps, no need to buy a 300 dollar tool).

Walnut is $6.20 a bf for 4/4 in my area. Walnut is $7.69 for 8/4. This is for boards 6" wide or less, there is an upcharge for wider. So one of your slabs (8/4 @ 14 feet) would be 22" x 168" x 2" = 7392/144 = 51.3 BF

51.3 BF x $7.69 = 394.00

So $350.00 is pretty good to me.

Thanks all that's really helpful information. I think I'm going to give it a try and see if I can make it work the way I've got it pictured in my head. I'm not too worried about the finishing but I am worried about getting them glued together properly. I do have ratchet straps as suggested above so I might try that with a couple of dowels to keep them from shifting. If anyone highly advises against this please let me know, otherwise wish me luck

I don't want to rain down here. You said you were not worried about the finishing. That's the end result of your hard work. People notice hard work. They also notice rush jobs and lazy work too.