what wood is this?

fjdavid

I have been playing with some wood turning and picked up some logs from a neighbor cutting down a tree. He's not sure what it is but I've attached some pictures of the bark, the cut and the leaves. He had already got rid of the branches but there were some new growth branches still attached to one of the smaller limbs. The wood has the ambrosia staining that you seen on ambrosia maple but its not maple. Any ideas of what it is? it looks like it could be Elm but I wasn't sure ambrosia beetles went after trees other than maples?

The end grain picture shows white from the Anchorseal on the wood to prevent it from drying out too quickly.

Thanks,

Frank

post-431-029508000 1281304133_thumb.jpg

post-431-070039100 1281304151_thumb.jpg

post-431-098006400 1281304177_thumb.jpg

post-431-073125100 1281304186_thumb.jpg

My education/degrees are in Biology & Chemistry. I recieved my undergrad degrees at Illinois State Univ. I still have quite a few of my old botany text and, most importantly, I still have my key to trees and shrubs of the eastern U.S. from a class i took on plant morphology. I had to learn a lot of the most common species in Central Illinois on sight for that class, but the Key was/is essentail in identifying not so common trees..

Something similar to this..

http://www.amazon.com/Eastern-Central-United-States-Canada/dp/0486203956

You may want to locate one for your region. I'd try your local University Bookstore in the Biology Dept section.

My education/degrees are in Biology & Chemistry. I recieved my undergrad degrees at Illinois State Univ. I still have quite a few of my old botany text and, most importantly, I still have my key to trees and shrubs of the eastern U.S. from a class i took on plant morphology. I had to learn a lot of the most common species in Central Illinois on sight for that class, but the Key was/is essentail in identifying not so common trees..

Something similar to this..

http://www.amazon.com/Eastern-Central-United-States-Canada/dp/0486203956

You may want to locate one for your region. I'd try your local University Bookstore in the Biology Dept section.

Also, just start talking to your local sawyers. They know trees!

I can tell what kind of tree it is by cutting it down and looking at the grain, but man does it make the neighbors and park rangers mad! A couple weeks ago on a camping trip I saw a maple with a HUGE burl, but my wife was sure they would miss it $%#@.

Next time, wear a 'uniform' (any!) and make sure you have a 2-way radio clipped to your belt with all kinds of loud chatter. When I was into amateur radio, if I carried a radio around, it was funny how people assumed you had some authority... me? ha ha...

Now that I gave you the idea, I'll PM you my address for a chunk of that burl...

My experience came when I was a saw / ground man for a few tree services. I also had a firewood business. I still have connections with the tree services, they bring me trees for milling and for my personal firewood use. Much of the lumber that I use comes from storm damaged, dead or dying trees that I mill right here. I had a few Boxelder trees that came here, I bucked them up and gave the logs to local wood turners. Basswood went to wood carvers.