Floating Shelves

oresto95

The bracket looks like a variation of the French cleat. The bracket looks simple enough to make, take a square blank, and with the table saw make a 45% cut part of the way through the blank than make a 90% cut deep enough to cut the wedge free, makeing sure to have the waste piece fall away fron the blade, and not pinned between the blade&fence. My question would be how to make the corresponding cut in the shelf. Looking at your picture I would think whoever made that shelf had a matching set of router bits, one bit makes the socket cut, and one for the bracket not sure where you would look for one or even what to call the set of bits.

• 3 weeks later...

Or since the bracket will be against the wall and hidden, make it whatever shape is easiest with the tools you have. There's no reason it has to look exactly like the one in the picture.

-- Russ

I agree. If the bracket will be hidden, just create a simple cleat with the tools you have. If it were me, I would rout out the waste in the shelf with a router, leaving some material on both ends so the cleat is hidden from view. Rip an appropriate size strip of stock with the table saw, and cut it to length. Drill some pilot holes, level it, and screw it to the wall with 2.5" screws (into the wall studs). Then drop your shelf on the cleat.

• 2 weeks later...

When I zoomed in on the picture you can see that the front and sides of the shelf are separate pieces attached to the top. So a seperate 45 strip can be added under the top ( which does not need to be very thick) . The ends and front strip will hide the 45 strip.

I have built shelfs like this with just a square strip and a smooth bottom. You screw the strip to the wall and slide the shelf over it. A tiny hole from the top takes a small brad to keep the shelf in place. If the hole is a little oversized you can remove the brad with a magnet.