girlfriends in the shop

Mqutkingdom

Wife comes out in the garage when I am out there piddling around with stuff. Being how I borrow her half when I want to work on something I just figure it's as much hers as it is mine. She does work also so how can I deny that. Well that and she could make me a very lonely broke man for the next 14 years if she wanted to.

My wife and kids will come out every so often, but I always keep the door locked, for my safety and theirs. One night my wife came in when the door was unlocked and I was working on the miter saw. Scared the poo out of me! I nearly fell on my butt. I like it when they come out and visit the shop though. Of course I get nervous that the little ones are going to hurt themselves, so it's usually not a long visit... at least until they get older.

Jonathan

===================================================

My wife doesn't visit that often. It's more of a safety issue with us. She just doesn't want to be the cause of my getting injured. I keep the door locked too in order to keep my friends from just coming in and scaring me at the wrong time. I do invite my wife out to see what I've been working on and on those rare occasions when I need something heavy moved. :lol:

When she does come out to visit it's always the same question...."When are you going to clean your bathroom?" I remind her that my shop is also called "Man Land."

My shop is in my garage so my wife pops in often! I don't mind it at all though...i love when she's down there because I feel like i'm trying to impress her with what I make and do...plus her approval means I did a good job

Although when I'm in the middle of something, she comes in and says, "are you almost done?" or "when are you coming up???"

It appears that women shouldn't be in the shop or on this forum. Not exactly a friendly welcome. Actually I am working on a college paper on male behaviors. You were all quite predictable.

Seems there was only one gentleman in this group who actually acknowledged one of my posts. To him, a salute. One gentleman in this group was actually more than I expected.

SQ

It appears that women shouldn't be in the shop or on this forum. Not exactly a friendly welcome. Actually I am working on a college paper on male behaviors. You were all quite predictable.

Seems there was only one gentleman in this group who actually acknowledged one of my posts. To him, a salute. One gentleman in this group was actually more than I expected.

SQ

Actually SusieQ, I would LOVE it if my wife took interest in woodworking. As it is, I use her extensively for design. She has impeccable taste, and that is NOT a reference to picking me as a partner. I just got lucky there. Also, I apologize for all the testosterone in the room. Yes, woodworking is "typically" a male endeavor, but I believe women that give it a go, often show more elegance in design than us. You are extremely welcome, at least by me and I know for sure by Marc, too.

Sounds like you need a stronger "pimp hand" heh. Just kidding. I don't see what the problem is, honestly. The only time I get annoyed with my wife is when I'm using the table saw or something or concentrating on something dangerous and she tries to get me to pay attention to her rather than wait a minute. I just let her know she gets to grab up the body parts and put them in a cooler before she drives me to the hospital should I lose focus and become injured. Otherwise, she actually enjoys helping and I like when she helps. Nice to have an extra set of hands sometimes. Plus you get to kind of show off and do some buff poses with your power tools. :)

SQ

Wow, that was worth posting... :rolleyes:

My wife usually doesn't come out to the shop when I'm working, it's rather loud and she doesn't want to scare me while I'm working. But whenever I take a break she comes out to ask what I'm working on and to see it, and it makes me quite happy to know that she is interested in my hobby.

SQ

Susie there were two people on this thread that made comments about not wanting their wife in the shop, two. You came in and insulted everyone in here, in general males by saying we are all quite predictable. While I had the same thoughts as you about the individuals who didn't seem to want to share their interest with their significant others, I didn't come in and insult them. That's not a way to make friends, in general, on forums its best just to ignore the people who annoy you and chat with the others.

I checked out your site, I'm interested to know how you create your bowls without a lathe, but that should really go in a different forum.

SQ

Now don't go and get your panties in a twist, we are all woodworkers and EVERYONE is welcome here. The original poster is seventeen and was asking a question about being bothered in the shop, I believe that is what it was about, the last part of the post was ,. .. .. ummm. ... unclear. Male or female most people need their space and private time away and I think that is the point not male behavior How people deal with the intrusion is another thing altogether.

I think most of us find predictable a good thing, it is the critiquing that is the hard part.

So, .. .. ... What is the conclusion of your paper going to be?

A huge thank you to those that have responded to my comments. I apologize for my bad behavior. :) Generalizations are never correct or wise.

I am very serious about my craft. I love making bowls and other items. I am very new to woodworking and was seeking answers to some of my finishing questions. I chose this forum because of the talent and experience displayed here, and have found much information that was valuable. For that I thank you all.

The conclusion to my paper? LOL Once gender is not a focal point, we can learn from each other.

SQ

Again, I do apologize for a few of my comments.

There is NO lathe involved in making these bowls. I have posted some information on how I make these bowls under the Critique Room/12 inch diameter maple & cherry bowl thread.

Equipment I use for these bowls is a scroll saw, tilting spindle sander, drill press, 15 inch planer, non-toxic - clear drying glue, mouse sander - grits of 100 through 600 for finish sanding, 100% tung oil, and 100% cotton or 100% wool buffing pads.

My original questions are posted under Finish/100% tung oil & mineral oil question. I've already researched the mineral oil question and discovered there are different degrees of purity. Seems I need to just make sure that it's food grade.

SQ

post-351-080748000 1283656575_thumb.jpgMy wife and kids come in all the time. All of them know not to wander around when I am operating the tools and never try to get my attention when I am. I have trained myself to NOT be visually distracted when operating the tools either. With 7 kids, one gets good at ignoring movement coming in the shop! ;)

I like having my family with me in there. This way I don't feel so selfish and guily about spending so much time out there. I try and have the kids observe me working with the tools and I try to teach them about the dangers and procedures about using tools and building things. I find it a great opportunity to share with them and build memories for the future.

On the other hand, sometimes it is nice to just have some uninterupted shop time to myself and get something done. Just like everything in life, there has to be a balance.

Everyone is always welcome in my shop.

So I don't have a girlfriend who wanders into the shop, but since I have a garage shop and love the cool air of winter (we have that for 3 days in early January...), my door is always open. Never ceases to amaze me how many neighbors just walk right up and start talking even though the table saw and DC and radio are all drowning them out. Then they look annoyed that I complete the cut before engaging in their question: "whatcya doing?" I'm always tempted to answer "revisiting the evolutionary ladder, you?"

When I used to stream from my shop, even a couple viewers chimed back in chat to say I had annoying neighbors :blink: