Staining carved recess help

mds2

Inspired by Lawrence's post I decided To make a few wine holder balance thingys. My co-worker's parents have a carvewright and he likes to mess around with it when he goes home to see them.

Anyway, in the picture you will see the carved monogram and where I applied stain. This actually turned out better than what I was imagining. But there has to be a better way. Im not surprised by the bleed. But what else can I try. I have 9 more of these so I can experiment.

A photo posted by mikesnodgrass (@mds22) on May 29, 2012 at 7:00pm PDT

Yes, I did sand it with 80 grit afterwards and it removed a good portion of it.

I'm just thinking there has got to be a better way to do the next one but I don't know what that might be.

I should mention that I did tape off the top flat side of the wine holder before applying the stain. I dont know if that makes any sort of difference or not. But I figured it couldn't hurt.

The only thing i can think of is to go around the letters with a small artist brush and seal around it with some shellac then stain. If any of the sealer gets in the letters should not be to hard to take a chisel and exacto knife to clean that up before staining. After the stain is dry sand the whole thing and top coat it.

First off.... im humbled that my work was an inspiration......

I seal the wood after carving in almost every case. Shellac or lacquer will work well. Another factor is the type of finish that you use- marsh's spray ink for example,sits on the surface and doesnt bleed in. I get mine from eagle america wwwing. Im on vacation right now and typing this from a phone but will try to post a quick "how to" when i return if you'd like.

Id love to see the final piece

Lawrence

A photo posted by mikesnodgrass (@mds22) on May 30, 2012 at 6:56pm PDT

Here is the next test. With the smallest brush I could find I, as delicately as I could, painted the vertical walls with shellac. I'm not made for that sort of thing. Anyway I'm still not happy with the results, but looking at it in person you can see that it really isn't carved very well. Lots of tearout and it isn't close to flat. Maybe need a sharper bit? I have no idea, ive never used the machine.

8 more to mess with. Lol.

I do like the paint pens... they are very nice at what they do. Again though just to clarify.... you dont need to be tidy with the shellac. Just paint it on/in and if you dont want it on your final surface just sand/scrape/or plane it off. It would help me if i could see your mpc to see if i have any other suggestions, but i cant view them until i get home from vacation

Lawrence

• 3 weeks later...

Here are the finished products. having a garage sale today so I thought I'd set them out. I ended up using acrylic paint in the carved portion than I sprayed them with polyurathane. Im happy with the results, the next batch I plan on doing a little differently.

Now, if someone would buy them...

Dh2hz.jpg