Wood shop accident (funny)

Well three working days and Im official closed for business. Made it 25 years without an injury or real accident other than a splinter or two. I called yesterday to cancel all my licenses and the guy from L&I was shocked 25 years without a claim. Not five minutes later I had my first accident, well sort of.

I was drinking my coffee yapping away with my helper feeding stock through the drum sander. Coffee went down the wrong pipe and out go my teeth. Not the first time that has happened, usually blow off the saw dust an its all good. Darn things landed on the conveyer and in they went. Got my fingers cross waited patiently for them to come out the other side, dodged a bullet. Luckily they came out dusty but not harmed land between two piece of thick stock. Not wanting to go back into the house I set them on the bench and run out to my truck and come bag to find my helper with a horrified look on his face. He tries to explain that he was cleaning the bench and he sucked my teeth into the dust collector. Ok well I hit the floor laughing poor kid thought he was going to die. Later a buddy comes over and we go out to fish out my teeth and they never made it to the collector. We decided, well we will just blow air into the collector and hope they come out somewhere. We made a plate to cover the hole and gave it a blast, nothing. My helper goes back to work running stock through the shaper while my buddy and I play with trying to get my teeth out. We here this OH SH$% STOP come from the shop. We blasted my darn teeth back into shaper with a raised panel cutter running, helper didnt close the blast gate as I asked him to do before going back to work. The thing came to rest a fraction of an inch away from the cutter. Now we will just call them my lucky teeth.

Don

• Like 1

That is too funny! Who knew teeth could cause so much trouble after they are gone!! Congrats on the saftey record, I would think it is safe to assume that you are still going to be making sawdust after the shop is closed??

Nate

Im not going to sell off the shop but am going to keep woodworking to a minimum. Just stuff for the kids and wife. Im thinking I may look for a part time job otherwise ill go crazy. The union offered me a job teaching the apprenticeship program at night 3 nights a week. The local high school said I could volunteer but honestly I dont have the patients for kids. Might help out in my grandsons class every now and again. The company I apprenticed at offered me a tooling manager job that is mostly work from home but may be more stress than I want to take on. I guess there is always a greater for walmart or Lowes. :) Both the Union and Buffelen have given me a month to make up my mind so I'll figure it out later.

Don

do the apprenticship program you know that down pact from the union years and you will mostly be working with adults or older teens. and if they cant fly strait there loss because they wont have a job. and if you do the school volunteer thing you could just come in couple times a month to give advice, lecture, talk about the union posibly critique there projects to show them what they could do better next time. trust me schools need as many expierienced craftsmen that they can get.

do the apprenticship program you know that down pact from the union years and you will mostly be working with adults or older teens. and if they cant fly strait there loss because they wont have a job. and if you do the school volunteer thing you could just come in couple times a month to give advice, lecture, talk about the union posibly critique there projects to show them what they could do better next time. trust me schools need as many expierienced craftsmen that they can get.

The union apprenticeship program is a 2 year working adult program. All are employed and have at least one year production experience. The program is taught to AWI standards. Ive been a union member since day one long before IWA was disbanded back in the early 90's.and we were passed off to the machinist union. Dont really like kids except my own to be blunt, never really had the patients for other peoples kids and their parents dont appreciate my foul mouth. :) There is only one high school left around here that has a wood shop program and the kids are not allowed to use power tools. They basically nail together a bird house or step stool. Really cant see myself teaching teenagers to pound nails without smacking one with a hammer. The only reason I can see for going back to Buffelen is to stave off collecting my union retirement and maybe build a little more for my wife after I'm gone. All they do is doors now, the cab shop shut down years ago. Not sure I want to spend my last days crunching numbers trying to squeeze an extra BF out of a cutter head. Walmart is looking better and better. :)

Don

Don

ya it takes a special kind of person to teach expecialy teach the type of kids i teach. they are all behavior problem kids so there are days i feel like hiting them with a hammer. there have been several times that i have wished to have a real cabinet maker come to class and nock the delusions out of the kids heads by giving them a real world wake up on how hard being a adult is in the wood working field.(or any contracting field long hour and hard work to barly scape by some years) you will hate walmart lots of ignorent people who think they are right. both those that work there and those that shop. maybe go for lowes or some other kind of do it center i know when i go into the big box stores and the only person to ask for help is some 17 year old kid i feel very frustraited. first thing i ask is who is the oldest most expierence person working here even if they are not in your department because i need help and right now you dont cut it. the apprenticeship program sounds easy the adults know enough to do what you say needs to be done but not enough to know better then to do it. only frustraiting thing i found with teaching people who know a little is they think they know alot. im shure that you will figure something out you seem to have a bit of sence at least enough to know what you want to do. but trust me if you think kids are bad then avoid walmart. my expierence is that very petty small minded people work/shop there and they all seem to be angry at the world. kids are just born ignorent and need to learn how to be a inteligent productive adults. the people who shop at walmart never learned how to be productive adults (not to say all were but it was a large population of the shopers I always came home with a pounding head, or pissed off.) honestly don i wish you didnt have to stop the trade hey look at it this way what ever rout you decide you will always have your teeth.