Trophy Cups and Wooden Bases

mgradwohl

Hey everyone,

I've got to figure out how to attach silver cups to wooden bases. These silver cups were not made with attachment in mind, so I've designed something that I'd like your comments on. There are pictures and descriptions over at my blog.

http://uppercutwoodworks.com/2010/09/brainstorming-ways-to-attach-trophies-to-bases/

Thanks!

So I read the first part of your blog posting, walked away to make tea mulling about it, and came up with the same concept as your bridge piece. I wasn't initially sure if the rolled lip would be big enough for that, but it must you have the same thing going on. But my idea wasn't anywhere near as easy to put together as yours. Very nice. In my case, I was trying to think of how to have the half-moons that grab the lip be movable from underneath so you could easily release the cup, but your way does that, too. Nice.

Hehe, I just typed up this long post about the history of silver cups and their placement on plinths and then decided to be smart and read your whole blog, which made me realize that the base and cup need to be permanently attached rather than a cup resting on a stand.

I think you're on the right track with the expansion disk theory. Another possibly more secure solution would be to make or get 3 retaining clips that would "hook" over the inside of the lip and bolt them to a flat plate of wood that would then become the top of the base. Use small machine screws that would go through the wood with nuts on the back. #8 or #10 size would probably be good enough. You could cut an access hole in the middle of the wooden plate so you can get your fingers inside to hold the nuts while you tighten it down. If you also put a couple of T-nuts on the inside of that wooden plate, you could then tighten the whole thing to the base with long screws or threaded rod from the bottom.

With this method you have positive mechanical enclosure and wouldn't have to worry about any problems with a pressure fit.

I hope that makes sense. If it's confusing I could send you a diagram.

Matt,

I think make a crescent moon shape close to the diameter of the cup. This would protrude down, cut it in half creating a scarf joint. Put it into the bottom of the cup, apply glue slide until it fits into the bottom groove on both side, spring clamp them. When dry the half moon will protrude beyond the bottom. Cut a mating groove in the base (it wouldn't need to be a slip fit) add epoxy and place the cup. It should manage a fair amount of abuse. Similar in concept to the bridge you drew out, but should be a bit simpler.