robjeffking

joining a mitered corner

would like to join a mitered corner for a detailed box without any nails or hardware. Would dowels work at 90 degrees if I drilled the hole extra deep before the mitered cut?

I guess Ill make 4 90 degree corners and use clamps or ratchet straps the joint will be about 8 inches tall I see ths as the only way to apply equal pressure to the entire height, but any othe ideas would be welcome

If it's a small enough box that won't get a lot of rough use, a mitered joint with just glue will last a long time. Otherwise, I like Doug's spline idea. Could be done easy enough on a table saw.

Ok here's a pic of the look Im going for with other structure in between the box tieing the sides together Im hoping glue will be strong enough if I do have to use splines I cannot let 1 side of it penetrate the triple bead

post-5469-0-85631800-1341715191_thumb.jp

Rob, it sounds as though you are thinking of inserting splines through the vertical into the horizontal plane. Have you considered the inverse - inserting the splines horizontally through the vertical plane at the corners? I think that would do the trick if you elect to strengthen the joint and not detract from your triple bead.

Dont think I can pull off the horizontal spline. The glue is holding up as of this morning I always lean towards overbuilding projects for added strength nothing gives me more pride than saying "that

ain't going nowhere" but in this case I have to say "l think it will be alright" :-(