Clear finish for dining table groves

rmcdonald0

Hello,

My mother has a table she purchased a few years ago that she is planning to refinish. The table is made from solid oak (I think) and it has decorative groves in it. Over the years the groves have become an annoyance because they catch food crumbs and other small particles. Is there a way to fill up the groves with a clear finish and seal in the entire tabletop without changing the way it looks?

Any help would be appreciated.

-Ron

post-7262-0-63959100-1343005533_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I tried to do something similar in the past and it just isn't worth it. Once the epoxy ages a liitle bit it will shrink, leaving you with twice the amount of grooves that you have now. If you really don't like the decorative grooves you can dismantle the whole tabletop, plane the grooves down until you have a series of butt joints, then glue and reassemble it. The tablecloth sounds like an easier choice. Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Check into burn in sticks that are used by furniture repair guys. They used to be of wax, now it's some sort of acrylic. There is a clear stick. You melt it in into flaws and dents and level the surface. They sell a electric hot knife, but I used a torch and a stainless putty knife. A light sanding and you can spray a new topcoat.