work bench - roubo a no go

I finally got moved into the new house and was putting out some smaller projects and felt comfortable to taking on something big... a workbench. I am a guild member and would dream to have a roubu. I email benchcrafted and the offer expired for vises and hardware. I read it wrong going through the months of saving and putting the shop together. With the deal expired I took a step back and revisited the idea. I think the robu is a great bench but way to nice for what i need and it will cost A LOT! If i could afford it, I would in a heart beat. I need something more affordable without sacrificing the great features.

my question... I would like to build a bench with these vises. Vise 1. Vise 2. I have access to close to free white oak that I will be making the top with for sure... the bottom might go with a way cheaper option... dimensional lumber, red oak, or something cheaper. I would like to save some white oak for some projects in the future.

I have dabbled with sketchup with this project. I am very good with sketchup and am not afraid of designing a full bench. I am seeing what the online community has as an opinion or if there is a design/plan/sketchup file that you would recommend and save me some time.

post-2926-0-77416300-1332694440_thumb.jp

post-2926-0-82734200-1332694376_thumb.jp

I built my entire Roubo workbench leg vice and end vice for about $3-$400 I made mine out of construction grade lumber I got from Home Depot, the leg vice screw I got from Lee Valley for $40 the end vice is sold at Grizzly for $50+ I'm sure you can afford it if your willing to compromise. Good luke, Dave

Here's the tread of my bench

Well, I can’t top Beechwood Chip’s post, but if you haven’t yet, take a look at the Woodsmith magazines 200th Anniversary issue (No. 200). It’s called the “Heirloom Workbench”, a very nice Roubo workbench build. I calculated the cost of the special hardware, including vise hardware, and it comes to about $195. That price does not include things like lag bolts, carriage bolts, etc.. The rest is wood. I think it’s a nice looking bench and very functional as well. The storage drawers are optional.

I see higtron’s bench would be a serious contender as well.

I built my entire Roubo workbench leg vice and end vice for about $3-$400 I made mine out of construction grade lumber I got from Home Depot, the leg vice screw I got from Lee Valley for $40 the end vice is sold at Grizzly for $50+ I'm sure you can afford it if your willing to compromise. Good luke, Dave

Here's the tread of my bench

I think i am going to go this route! can't go wrong!

• Like 1

I think i am going to go this route! can't go wrong!

I think that's a wise decision. I made my bench for a total of less than what you had originally planned on spending on the vises alone by making my own leg and wagon vise (total cost for hardware was ~$80 for both screws from leevalley)