Tool you thought you really needed, but never actually use?

Biscuit jointer, belt sander, jig saw (except for remodeling), brad nailer (again except for remodeling), upgraded miter gauge (sleds work so much better). I am sure there are a couple more. Just about all of these were in my first couple years of woodworking and during the Norm days. That being said it was also before forums, websites, and all the other great learning tools we have now. I chalk it up to leasons learned and more importantly evolving skill level.

I'd say bench grinder. I got a craftsman bench grinder like 10 years ago figuring I'd need it for sharpening duty and honing tools but I don't think I've ever used it for that. In fact I don't think I've turned it on in years, it's just wasting space in the shop...

-Jim

Funny you should mention this... I'm stuck right now because I don't have one.... (then again, I do a lot of turning... and a grinder is a major time savor in that process.)

I use C-clamps, but mainly because I already have C-clamps and don't have enough other clamps and don't have a lot of money to get good quality replacements. If/when I get replacement clamps, I'll probably never use them again. They just take too long to clamp things, and they weigh quite a bit which means when you clamp something it rarely sits flat, or in a natural position.

I don't have a spindle sander at the moment, nor a disc sander. My belt sander does ok in both those regards - the flat belt replacing the disc, the rounded roller at the front of the sander does ok as a spindle sander. I'm going to build a jig to hold the sander in a different position as at the moment I'm clamping it in the work bench to hold it still. It doesn't hold it square to the desk, and there's no platform to keep things square whilst I'm sanding. At the moment this hasn't been a huge issue, though I've had to re-make a few pieces from scratch because I've over sanded something and can't correct it.

I don't have a bandsaw, so I do use a jigsaw. I sometimes start a cut with my table saw, and finish it with the jig so the end of the cut is square. Currently I'm looking for a bandsaw for re-sawing purposes, but I'll wait till I see a reasonable price one on Kijiji/Craigslist. This might be the first tool I don't use.

So currently I don't have a power tool I don't use. I can't even think of any hand tools I don't use.

• 2 weeks later...

Of the quality tools I have that I never use, it would likely be the Porter Cable biscuit jointer. Norm and my friend Jack (who showed me the basics when I got into woodworking) both sold me on it. Think I used it a few times. Great tool, I just don't really have much use for it. I'd add in my Hitachi belt sander and my Bosch reciprocating saw if specific to shop application, but I actually use both in personal home renovation stuff.

post-50-0-41009700-1345026488_thumb.jpg

I got a rubber chicken for my shop after so many people told me about the über strong chicken-foot joint. Thing is, I can't find any instructionals on how to do the joint, I just keep hearing philosophical questions about which came first, pins or tails. I'm starting to wonder if the joint even exists. I think I'll go look on the other side of the road in case there's more information there.

Let's see....in this picture, I see a rubber chicken, some sketch up, a piece of oak, some Laguna paperwork - woohoo! and a brass bong. Paul....things are becoming clearer!

My gotta have it and rarely use it is my Ryobi biscuit joiner. Good tool...I just don't pull it out much.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...