when to use wood glue, and why?

bingo296

Forgive me if this is somewhat of a basic question, I have searched around (on here, and general internet searches) and all I seem to come up with is "what's the best glue", and "how to apply glue" and "what glue is strongest" and so on. I haven't really found anything that gives suggestions for when to use glue, and when not to use glue, what joints to use glue with, and so on. I've made a few pieces of furniture (crudely I might add, as I'm learning!)index.jpg and I have yet to use wood glue for anything else accept when I plug screw holes with wooden plugs that I have drilled out, I use the wood glue to secure the plug. I've not yet used glue for any other purpose.

In most "typical" furniture projects (if there is such a thing?), how do you decide to use glue or not, and why?

Do you just use glue on most wood surfaces that are touching other wood surfaces?

Only on surfaces where you are using screws to hold together?

Only in areas that you aren't using screws?

Is it just personal preference? Or is there really a long-term difference between using glue and not using glue in particular areas?

I would like to be educated on this :unsure:

Well, there are some basic things that simply can only be done with glue and others that simply cannot be done at all with glue.

Example, if your design features miter joints, glue is the way to go. Otherwise, you will be screwing or nailing into end grain, and that is not good. Same goes for finger joints.If your design need biscuits or dominoes. glue is the best way. I suppose you could nail/screw them, but that would not be as strong and a long route for little reward. If you wanted to go down that road, look at Japanese joinery. There, you will find all sorts of non-glued pin joints and such.

ON the other hand, if you want to control movement, glue is bad. Today's glues are stronger then the wood (much like most welds and the metal they connect). Say you would like a breadboard end for a table. Because the wood is moving in 2 different directions, you want to create a joint that allows movement. Glue would hold them in place and might cause the wood to buckle. Another example is cabinet doors...lap joint or style + rail, you want the panel to float so it can move. Glue will not allow it, but nails on one side will.

So, beyond the cases that require or eliminate glue as an option, it really is just that, an option. With that said, you should consider what you are going to do when you are designing your piece. Just be mindful of what wood and glue prefer....gluing end grain to end is a no go....the glue will weep back and there will be less bonding going on. Flat grain to flat grain is best. It has the most surface area to bond.

Sometimes, it just doesn't matter. Glue is stronger than screws, but sometimes you don't want to wait around. If I am making a shop jig, glue + screw is how I get a solid solution quickly. Aesthetics isn't really part of the solution.

I hope this helps. It's not the full answer, but should get you going.

• Like 1

Most common use would be edge gluing boards to make a panel or tabletop. Dowels, biscuits , domino's and mortise and tenon joints are glued. If you make a face frame with pocket screws glue will help make the joint stronger.

When I make quick or low budget projects I use glue and a nail gun. The nails hold things in place while the glue dries.

• Like 1

I would say, always use glue unless you want to be able to dis-assemble the joint later on. Regular wood glue is fine unless you need to fill a gap, in which case use epoxy. You can get more detailed, but that's enough to start with.

Screws or nails alone are strong enough for some applications, but adding glue will usually make it stronger.