Building a bed - what joinery for the rails?

Hi all,

I'm just about to embark on a fairly simple project, a bed, however Im a little bit stuck on how to go about attaching the long rails (the ones that run the length of the mattress) to the head and tail of the bed frame.

I was originally thinking that I should use large sliding dovetails as I could get away without using glue and be able knock the frame down in the future, but I'm thinking overtime wood movement will become an issue with the joint becoming either loose giving a wobbly bed frame, or tight making it impossible to knock down the bed for storage in the future.

I really liked the idea of making the bed with no hardware, just good old wood joints, but on a more practical level I think It may be necessary to incorporate a little bit of hardware.

Has anybody got any tips on how you would go about joining the rails? Do you think a sliding dovetail will be appropriate or maybe something else.

Regards

Jordan

http://www.jordswoodshop.com

I've been thinking of making a bed using Japanese shitage kama joints which can be taken apart by removing the wedge. Here are some things I have found on the internet.

post-5342-0-56290900-1346324372_thumb.jp

post-5342-0-61790500-1346324427_thumb.jp

post-5342-0-94554600-1346324698_thumb.jp

I made these garden benches using that joint, but I cheated. Instead of cutting the agled mortise I glued two halves of the legs with pieces in the middle cut to create the joint. I had to join the two pieces of wood anyway so that made my life easier. It works for this situation but it might not be strong enough for a bed.

post-5342-0-73406400-1346325238_thumb.jp

post-5342-0-12142500-1346325346_thumb.jp

post-5342-0-89465400-1346325369_thumb.jp

-Cindy

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I like the idea of using bed bolts/tenons, I dont know if its just me not knowing where to look but it seems like it is almost impossible to get any of the screw on bed-frame hardware as mentioned by Eric and hhh.

I actually made up a full size model out of 2x4's to see how everything would look in regards to proportions, and I used my handheld doweling machine for all the joinery, and used some metal brackets plus dowels with no glue for the rails and its worked a treat, infact i have decided i will use it as a daybed.

Think bedbolts and mortise+tenons will be the way to go with my final piece though.

Thanks

Jordan

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I like the idea of using bed bolts/tenons, I dont know if its just me not knowing where to look but it seems like it is almost impossible to get any of the screw on bed-frame hardware as mentioned by Eric and hhh.

That should get you going

http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware/page.aspx?cat=3,40842&p=41269

• 5 months later...

Hello, 

When I build beds I either use bed bolts http://www.whitechapel-ltd.com/ Item #: 274BB2  with these bolts you need to use a thick bed post (like a pencil post bed).  When I build a bed that has to have a thinner leg or I want it to break down easier then I use 274BF4  These are great if you do not want to see any hardware and also want a very strong joint.  These are not a wedging hardware so the jointery has to be precise.  I go a little too deep with my mortise, and shim with paper until I achieve the exact fit.  These are the best that I have found. They work great!  Hope this helps someone.