Woodworking and Beer... two of my favorite things

lawrence

...make sure you do it in that order though.... woodworking THEN beer...

This is a gift I've made for my outgoing Commander that will be from the enlisted men and women of my Squadron. It is red oak with a shellac finish and the black is marsh spray ink. The construction is simple butt joints that have been glued and pinned. The carvings were done on my Carvewright and the handle was made with a forstner bit and my scroll saw (connect the holes) The beer is his favorite....

Thanks as always for your comments - I appreciate your constructive critiques.

As an addition... I know that just about any other type of joinery beats butt joints, but for very thin (3/8) wood like this, I've found pin nails and glue to be more than adequate for showpieces that sit on shelves and it definitely kept the construction time down (the whole project including finish took place during the Monday night football game debacle)

Lawrence

P11208141024x768.jpg

P11208111024x768.jpg

thanks for the kind words gents

hhh- I already emailed the company to let them know about what I made as a gift and to ensure them I wasn't going to make any more/sell them without their permission. I've gotten a decent amount of folks asking if I could make them the panels or make up the boxes as a kit but I wouldn't feel right doing that with their logo - making one as a gift is probably something most companies wouldn't fret too much about, but any more and I wouldn't blame them for getting rightfully riled up about it.

Depending on how they react to my email, I'll let them know about the interest and see how they'd fell about me making more - I'll certainly let you know how it goes.

Oh yeah, and here's one more picture with a sign I made too.... it's carved then painted MDF

dogfish4.jpg

Thanks again for the compliment,

Lawrence

==> Glue and micro pins is surprisingly strong! Grex has a gun that shoots 3/8 to 2" pins,they even come in stainless steel!

+1

I've got the Cadex version of both the 23 and 21 guage. They are really strong. You are correct, the exact phrase is surprisingly... You would never believe it until you try it..