Hidden compartment book shelf

Turdfergusen

I just came across this bookshelf that I would expect to find in James Bond's house on youtube and I couldn't stop thinking about how awesome it would be if Marc could either do a future guild build similar to this or incorportate some of these compartments into something more simple such as an end table. Anyhow here's the link. I'm curious to hear what people think about it.

• Like 1

I'd like to know where to get the magnetic latches. I recently finished something a lot similar for a customer where the side panels of the pillars of a fireplace mantel have offset pins that let you push on them near the back to rotate them open (I'll get pictures up here eventually). Not very sophisticated, but the client thought they were fun. The latches would be better. Then you could do actual drawers and things.

Then there also these (there are places you can get them cheaper):

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=30187&site=ROCKLER&filter=stealthlock

Interesting thing is, if the batteries in the lock die, the recommended way to get in is to force the door and the plate will shear off. You then buy a new plate. Guess it's kind of the sawstop cartridge equivalent of the lock world.

I think the next evolution would be an RFID chip...

There are some good remote control options but then you have to rely on a remote.

I do not like the magnet lock system because you have to rely on another source to open it.

What if the remote or key is misplaced or lost when you need it?

What if it breaks or runs low on batteries?

I really like the ancient methods, reminicient of what you see on Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Keep it simple and as reliable as possible.

The beauty is in the simplicity.

I'd think it was overkill. I've heard of home being absolutely emptied. They'd take the shelf too. If someone knew you had a lot of guns (or like in the video... HOLY CRAP A LOT OF GUNS) and saw that bulky of a design I'd worry that they'd figure out the shelf was hiding something and smash it apart with a sledge.

If they scaled it back a little bit it'd probably be less obvious to the trained eye.