Winter Turning Challenge and Trade 2012

Roger T

how do you like turning honey locust cidy and are you shure its not black locust to check get a black light and shine it on it black locust will glow.

I love the honey locust. I purchased it and it was labeled as such, I also have some black locust so I will try the black light trick and compare them. Also, the honey locust was sweet smelling, I don't recall that of the black locust but it has been a month or more since I turned the black locust.

I love the honey locust. I purchased it and it was labeled as such, I also have some black locust so I will try the black light trick and compare them. Also, the honey locust was sweet smelling, I don't recall that of the black locust but it has been a month or more since I turned the black locust.

i think it would be realy cool to have wood panels made out of black locust turn on a black light and just sit there.

how do you like turning honey locust cidy and are you shure its not black locust to check get a black light and shine it on it black locust will glow.

Duck,

I shone a black light and both my honey locust ornament and black locust bowl fluoresce. I checked with my supplier and they said that yes, that is the case and that there are other woods that also fluoresce with different colors. They say honey locust and black locust trees are very easy to tell apart and they are 100% confident that their wood is correctly identified. They also said that honey locust wood smells sweet and black locust does not. I noticed that as well.

I am attaching a picture taken under black light. On the left is maple for comparison, it just reflects the purple light. In the middle is a honey locust ornament. On the right is a black locust bowl. The second picture was taken with incandescent light.

Cindy

post-5342-0-44679800-1354893943_thumb.jp

post-5342-0-88960200-1354893954_thumb.jp

• Like 1

ooooo cindy i just had a fun idea make a full set of christmas ornimates out of maple and black locust, plus the tinsle then at night shine black lights on your tree. i bet the only thing lit up on the tree would be the black locust ornaments and the tinsle. the ball can be maple......its purple....the spindles would be black locust they would be the fluorescent green. if i had the time and the desire i think i would do that as it is i might just do a black locust and maple ornament every year untill thats all i have on my tree.

ooooo cindy i just had a fun idea make a full set of christmas ornimates out of maple and black locust, plus the tinsle then at night shine black lights on your tree. i bet the only thing lit up on the tree would be the black locust ornaments and the tinsle. the ball can be maple......its purple....the spindles would be black locust they would be the fluorescent green. if i had the time and the desire i think i would do that as it is i might just do a black locust and maple ornament every year untill thats all i have on my tree.

Somehow that doesn't surprise me! :) I asked my supplier what other woods fluoresce and here is his list. So you have some options!

Black Locust—Bright green

Honey Locust—Bright green

Kentucky Coffeetree—Bright yellowish green

Mimosa—Streaked green patterns

Monkeypod—Light yellow with green streaking

Osage Orange—Streaked yellow patterns

Redbud—Streaked green patterns

Shining Sumac—Light yellow

Smooth Sumac—Light yellow

Staghorn Sumac—Heartwood has mixed patterns of green, Sapwood appears as light purple or blue

Sweetbay Magnolia—Light yellow

Yellowwood—Mixture of light yellows and blues

Somehow that doesn't surprise me! :) I asked my supplier what other woods fluoresce and here is his list. So you have some options!

would love to have a entire room made out of locust all that paneling just hit the light and lean back and enjoy life.

Black Locust—Bright green

Honey Locust—Bright green

Kentucky Coffeetree—Bright yellowish green

Mimosa—Streaked green patterns

Monkeypod—Light yellow with green streaking

Osage Orange—Streaked yellow patterns

Redbud—Streaked green patterns

Shining Sumac—Light yellow

Smooth Sumac—Light yellow

Staghorn Sumac—Heartwood has mixed patterns of green, Sapwood appears as light purple or blue

Sweetbay Magnolia—Light yellow

Yellowwood—Mixture of light yellows and blues

Nice job folks they look great . I didn't know about the black light thing , kinda like the 60s and 70s with glow in the dark posters . Groovy man !!!

didnt think there was so many im thinking ill make some glow in the dark decorations one of these days during the day entirely made of wood decorations but at night its a party. :) oh well here hoping for next year.

Ok, the pairing have been drawn.

RogerT sends to JWatson

IndiCindy sends to RogerT

JWatson sends to IndiCindy

TimV sends to HybridWoodworker

HybridWoodworker sends to TimV

Thanks much everyone for participating. Lots of fun. And before ayone yells at me. Ill have a pic up of mine soons i get it buffed and assembled.

Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!

Next challenge and trade will likely be in March. Keep practicing, because they wont get any easier!!!

Roger

Tim, got your yesterday and hung on the tree this evening. I noticed on most of the ornaments that the loop at the top is a screweye. I have been making ornaments for about 10 years now and I have found using a jewelry eyepin

like these. http://www.firemountaingems.com/itemdetails/H201721FN lightens the look of the ornament.

Drill the top with a #80 bit and super glue it in place. You can use a 2" long eyepin and make it into a hook also.

BRuce