1938 Craftsman (8" blade 20"x16" table) tilt arbor table saw 101.02141 built by Atlas Press

VitalBodies

I have a Craftsman 2141 (8" blade 20"x16" table) tilt arbor table saw 101.02141 built by Atlas Press.

I would guess it is from around 1937-1939.

Needs to be refurbished.

Has anyone had much luck selling these old tools and if so where?

They are heavy so that is a factor. I live in a small town so not sure Craigslist would work. Also, how do ship something like this? I think it weighs about 150 pounds.

Even if you have no interest at all, check out the tools you could have bought in 1937 to 1939 - and the prices! The link goes to some great old catalogs in PDF format. Worth a look.

http://www.roseantiquetools.com/id116.html

Comments welcome.

I need to take decent images but here is a sneak peek.

post-4693-0-64186700-1355121661_thumb.jp

post-4693-0-12215200-1355122298_thumb.jp

post-4693-0-37617500-1355122315_thumb.jp

post-4693-0-71936500-1355122334_thumb.jp

uggg i would hate to referbish that the top needs to be reground, the motor is probably shot, the gears are probably rusted through and need to be replaced looks like the entire shells needs to be blasted clean to be repainted. it can be done but it would take a dedicated person to do it.

I might end up trying CraigsList, the search results do show up on search engines too. I felt like I needed to know where I stand on shipping. I have shipped countless items but none in the 150 pound range.

The saw needs an overhaul for sure. I have seen online where there are folks that can bring these around to like new condition. Amazing. It is an interesting process, but you need the right tools, like a sand blaster and such. One tool I have recently become interested in, is the vibratory rock tumblers for cleaning small parts. These work really well for refurbishing metal parts and some other parts. There is a bit of a learning curve but not much. There is no motor on this saw but I have seen that they are available used online.

my brother had something like a rock tumbler at his old job but it was for huge parts you could put the entire saw in the machine and have it come out rust free.......probably metal free as well :)................if nothing else vital find out how much steel is going for at the scrap yard i hear they pay in 2 doller bills.

Those big tumblers are pricy. I think the saw is worth selling even if it gets parted out. Nice to support those old tool enthusiasts!

I have been refurbishing different kinds of things and am going to give tumbling a try. Nothing huge though. I would like to try the 18 pound size tumbler and get two bowls so I can switch media by just changing out the bowl.

• Who's Online   3 Members, 0 Anonymous, 47 Guests (See full list)

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    R Parekh
    Newest Member
    R Parekh