possibly stupid question about inlaid stringing

Eric.

If one were to inlay stringing, let's say 1/8" or 1/4" wide and 1/16" deep, on a hardwood table top, let's say about 18"x28", all the way around the top, set in about 2" from the edge...(hope that makes sense)...when that wood moves, how does that affect the stringing that's inlaid cross-grain, since its long grain orientation won't match the movement of the table top across the grain? Geez, that's a poorly constructed jumble of words...sorry.

Wouldn't the miters of the stringing separate, or if the top shrinks, try to pop that stringing out by squishing it on the ends? Or does it just kind of stretch with the movement of the top since it's so thin and glued in?

I'm dumbfounded. It seems like a no brainer that it wouldn't work, but I see it done all the time...I think. What am I missing?

• Thanks 1

By itself, the inlay should not react visibly to the moisture fluctuations, due to it's smaller size.

(I should probably warn you I don't do inlay, so I'm dealing with theory.)

But my concerns would be those mitered ends, as you mentioned, due to the movement of the material the inlay was placed in.

The reason the inlay would not move on it's own is that it does not have the mass to show major movement, as it's only 1/16" thick (using your example). Not enough mass to absorb enough moisture to really make a difference. - I think.

Right, my concern would be the cross-grain movement of the table top opposed to the relative stability of the long-grain stringing...the top will move but the stringing will not. But I've seen stringing like this on many a table, especially a lot of antique pieces with the traditional holly stringing...they seem fine. But it defies the conventional rules of woodworking 101.

I've been digging and digging on the googles, but it seems no one of any authority has a definitive answer...just a lot of guesses and assumptions. I really want to do this on a project I'm designing, but only if it's kosher.

You'd think it might open...

Oddly enough, I've never heard this mentioned in classes with folks who are considered masters of this stuff. I'll review my Steve Latta DVD's, and see if it's mentioned. I can't remember any mention of issues with cross-grain stringing on wider boards, and I've never accounted for it myself.

My only guess is that the glue and material can stretch or move enough for it not to be an issue.

Or...

Maybe the stringing doesn't move at all in the slot, and the panel goes every so slightly out of flat...

Yesterday, the latest issue of PopWood showed up in my mailbox. Glen Huey did a cool chest on stand that has top very near your example, strung with 3/16" tiger maple. I don't remember any special mention there, either...

Since it's so fresh, maybe you should pose the question to Glen, via the PopWood site. It's not a stupid question. :)

I was able to find a pic of that piece on their website...didn't see any way to leave a comment or ask a question, as much as I'd like to (maybe subscribers can, unfortunately I'm not).

But if it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me...that's essentially what I'm wanting to do. My only thought is that the lid on that piece could possibly be veneered ply or something and therefore doesn't pose movement issues (tough to tell with the tiny little pic I found). If it's solid wood, that's evidence enough for me that movement issues are negligible.

because of its size i would think that a thin piece would not shift enought to be noticable. i went and looked at some wood rings that i have made there all very thin like 1/16-1/8 thick. there made like ply wood with alternating direction of wood the veneer ones have not changed or if they have the change is so tiny you cant even feel it with your fingers. the ring on my hand is little heaver and larger it has a 1/4 center piece of i think babinga with a 1/8 band of maple on eather side of the center pieces. it comes in and out of the different temperatures so the wood shift a little between the hot and the cold. it has moved a little bit about the thinkness of a pieces of paper 1/64 or something tiny like that. so the end grain sticks out a little on the maple from the babinga face grain. so considering the furniture will stay in one place year round rather then being carried in and out of the house on your finger like my ring is i think you will be fine the shift will be barely noticable.

My understanding of veneers is that the movement of the thin material is not strong enough to overpower the glue and the much thicker substrate material. Essentially, the substrate does whatever it wants and the veneer stretches or compresses along with it. For example, you can have a wide panel of plywood with a veneer of cherry (for example) and you don't need to worry about wood movement, while a wide panel of solid cherry would definitely move.

I imagine it's the same with the string inlay, as long as the inlay is thin enough.

• 4 years later...

Actually I did.  I inlaid an occasional table with stringing about 1/4" wide.  I still can't explain why it doesn't break wood movement rules 101 - well...it does...but for some reason you get away with it.  Maybe it stretches?  It's been almost five years since I made that table and the stringing miters are still as tight as the day I glued them in.  Unsolved mysteries.

I pretty much hate this table now because my taste has evolved so much...but here it is anyway.

And here it is today...

Wx2xbIZ.jpg

• Like 2

I guess string reality is a bit different from String Theory.

In physics, string theory is a theoretical framework in which the point-like particles of particle physics are replaced by one-dimensional objects called strings. It describes how these strings propagate through space and interact with each other.

2 hours ago, Tom King said:

I guess string reality is a bit different from String Theory.

In physics, string theory is a theoretical framework in which the point-like particles of particle physics are replaced by one-dimensional objects called strings. It describes how these strings propagate through space and interact with each other.

I wonder how they get away with calling them "strings", and "one-dimensional", in the same sentance. Seems rather contradictory.

9 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

I wonder how they get away with calling them "strings", and "one-dimensional", in the same sentance. Seems rather contradictory.

It is not about being truly one dimensional. It is about a tiny object behaving in an excited fashion at such speed that it fills out a three dimensional frame.