Rockler Silicone Glue brush. Any good???

TerryMcK

I swear I'm the only person on the planet that doesn't like these.  Must be my upbringing.   :P

Seriously, I have tried the Rockler brushes, the Dollar store ones, the Glue-bots, and just decided that I'm sticking with the acid brushes and the 3 pack of squirt bottles with the little red cap.  I think i got the squirt bottles at Harbor Freight. The acid brushes at Rockler are much higher quality than the HF ones, and when they'er on sale for about $5 for 50 of them, it's pretty cheap.

Also, when you do manage to think about it, a quick 10 second wash of the acid brush and you can use them over and over. (usually, don't bother, though)

Looking back, i think I've wasted enough money on glue applicators to buy that piece of Bubinga I passed over last month.   <_<

I swear I'm the only person on the planet that doesn't like these.  Must be my upbringing.   :P

Seriously, I have tried the Rockler brushes, the Dollar store ones, the Glue-bots, and just decided that I'm sticking with the acid brushes and the 3 pack of squirt bottles with the little red cap.  I think i got the squirt bottles at Harbor Freight. The acid brushes at Rockler are much higher quality than the HF ones, and when they'er on sale for about $5 for 50 of them, it's pretty cheap.

Also, when you do manage to think about it, a quick 10 second wash of the acid brush and you can use them over and over. (usually, don't bother, though)

Looking back, i think I've wasted enough money on glue applicators to buy that piece of Bubinga I passed over last month.   <_<

I look at it the same as buying a new paint brush every time you paint.  My dad taught me growing up to get a really good paint brush and take care of it and it will last for a long time and save you money.

Acid brushes may be cheap, but the cost adds up eventually and like you said...you could wash them out and re-use them, but most of the time you don't.  So for the price of a bag of brushes you can get the Rockler silicone one. 

I've always used the acid brushes and a bag lasts a while the way I use them.  I keep a cup of water close by and when I'm finished gluing, I wipe off the excess, swish swish and use the same brush again many times.  I also keep a pint jar about half full of lacquer thinner for when the brush was spreading something like tung oil.  Same process.  But hey, with so many positives, I'm willing to try a silicone brushe.  Dollar tree first and then the paint store to see if they have any kind of really small and notched spreader as the Rockler.

Got the big/original sized one here too.  It works great and no loose bristles coming off in my glue!  It's a bit oversized for some glue-ups though, so I'll have to hunt down the samller size.  I'll check the dollar store first though before heading over to Rockler (great tip!)

Check your local dollar store:

http://www.dollartree.com/Betty-Crocker-Silicone-Basting-Brushes-9-/p310123/index.pro

Trim as desired.

I bought a bunch for my wife's classroom, for white glue. Kids aren't very good at cleaning brushes, so silicone brushes are home runs.

I bought a Rockler brush before I found the cheapies.

I was looking at buying a brush from Rockler, but now I see where I'm going :)

I got a few of them and think they are great. A few years ago I stopped using the
acid brush and finger technique when Rockler started selling those little
plastic paddles they work great as well. 
I needed several so I could find one when I needed it.  Saw the new ones and gave them a try.  Don't think I'll need anything else for a very long time.  They probably have a
five hundred million year half life

• 3 weeks later...

I have been experimenting with different pound store (read dollar store) kitchen brushes.

I have found that of the various ones I have the ones with fat "bristles" are not as good at application as the ones with thinner "bristles".

post-3084-0-32310300-1362482731_thumb.jppost-3084-0-90595900-1362482752_thumb.jppost-3084-0-33128200-1362482739_thumb.jp

However the thinner ones are more difficult to clean and hard lumps become hidden inside. I was doing a panel glue up and in the middle of applying glue a hard lump of glue appeared.

Also there are varying degrees of hardness of the bristles making it difficult to apply glue.

I think the verdict is still out on this and acid brushes may still have the edge.

I haven't tried silicone brushes with epoxy yet but it works great with the plastic paddles. That's next on my list.