Why was this built this way?

Take a look at this link: http://www.urbanhardwoods.com/furniture/product.aspx?product=198&subCat=19&location=0

I saw this and thought, you know, I have a couple big chunks of cherry drying out in my basement. I could make something similar. My wife approves of the idea. The thing that's bugging me though is.... why the gaps between the pieces? My first thought is "style," but that seems like a great way to end up with stuff (dust, french fries, spilled liquids, small children, household pets) in a really hard to clean place. But it strikes me there might be an actual functional reason for this... but I can't think of one. Any ideas?

I would vote for style as well. I would assume to divert attention from the less than ideal condition of the timber.

I can't tell form the images, but it could also be to hide the joints. It looks like they shot dowel through, but I don't know if that is from the original purpose of the lumber or the reconditioning.

Chris - That's what I assumed as well. Perhaps there were some larger cracks/damaged areas that were removed (or assuming it was 4 separate pieces, the grain didn't quite line up) and it was a case where the gap made it look intentional, but if it was joined and glued flush it'd look like an error / strange cover-up attempt.

Looks like it was a salvaged trunk of some log, cut into quarters and ebonized. I'd pay $150 for something like that (depends on the dowels used to join the quadrants). I'd think that the extra $1100 was to reward the maker for not using this particular segment of large construction timbers in the furnace for the past few years. My only questions are 1) where they found this, and 2) which order the builder put the posts up in?

pffff $1250 is nothing i bought 6 one for eather side of the couch, one for the bedroom two to put on on the padio to set some flowers and one to put in my grave with me because my girlfriend just killed me for spending all our money :)

im thinking the gaps are there so people can carry them if its a solid log it would weight a ton. plus it might be style the whole strait line on natural abject thing, i wonder if they have sold one

Hi folks. I'd say for two reasons.

One definitely for style: Rustic oustside faces with a crisp geometric cross on the top. It makes it look less rustic and more "designed".

Secondly for technical reasons: I'd expect an intact log to split as it dries. Sawing through the centre removes some of the tension that would cause that. Each individual quadrant is much less likely to split.

Cheers,

Ali.

If you look at the end grain, it is made from a single log. By quartering it they eliminated the major cracks that would develop if they had not. Sure there are some cracks in the piece but they are minor compared to what would have occured if they had left it whole.

The description says "four piece" I'm not so sure they have done anything to join them together. I'll bet it is four separate pieces. That the buyer (herein referred to as "the sucker") has to arrange every time it gets bumped to make it look like one piece. Perhaps this was done because of weight.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

Even at 200% markup after it leaves the shop, one could still be a millionaire in a couple of years, batching these out en masse...if there were actually buyers. I'm not one to scoff at prices on beautiful pieces of furniture that are masterfully designed and crafted (who among us is?), but a log cut into four pieces and colored black...you can keep me in the amazed category that anyone would pay near that price for that particular piece...for revenge or otherwise. Consumers aren't necessarily smart, but no one throws their money in the garbage.