Why was this built this way?

Interesting concept-

Little side story- take it for what you will. An old acquaintance of mine makes artsy wall-shelves for a gallery (for small vases etc) They go for OUTRAGEOUS prices ($500+ each) Here is how the money breaks down-

I'm trying to remember the numbers- and am pulling them from my hindquarters a bit as he explained it to me several years back....

For a single shelf... ($500)

20%-40% goes to the interior designer

a fairly significant cost goes to the union workers that dismantle, pack, and put the piece (art plus shelves) on a truck for shipping - usually 10%-20% for the labor and packing materials

Shipping costs 15%

He says that he just about breaks even (and sometimes loses money if the buyer negotiates as the overall price goes lower but the fees etc stay the same) if one shelf is purchased... where he starts to make money is when multiples are purchased (the fees go lower) The shelves are very simple (free floating but use a french cleat design to hold on the wall-- the type of thing that you'd think would be about $50 retail. Basically they are a hollow plywood box covered in black laminate with a french cleat recessed in the back.

I'm not saying that $1250 isn't a lot of money for that table- what I'm saying is for retail (and especially gallery) items, there are a LOT of hands in the pie before it reaches a customer's home and that the maker is often not eating the biggest piece of this pie...

Lawrence

Maybe the cuts serve several purposes.

1. control cuts.. as are used in poured concrete. Since you can't easily prevent more cracks from developing due to seasonal change, cuts 1" or so deep might be sufficient to prevent or attract/control the current cracks and new ones that may develop rather than them appearing at random.

2. artistic element.... used to add interest to what some would say is just a big block of wood. The precise linear cuts serve as a contrast/foil to the randomness of the naturally occurring cracks and grain patterns.

I would consider a plate glass top for practical and functional purposes. Whether than would detract from artistic merit/intended appearance or not may be debatable.