Best combination square?

Nick2cd

I need a new combo square. I don't want to drop $100 on a starrett if there is a comparable alternative? Any that u guys like? Btw, I saw where wood magazine rated the Swanson 12" a great alternative to the starrett but I've actually read poor reviews on them elsewhere.

I had several different knockoffs before I bought my Starrett and keeping them square is the problem. The metal they use wears a lot faster causing inaccuracies. The value of a quality square is not just the tool itself, its not having to worry about a whole bunch of cuts being off before you notice, or a glue up being out of square, or all the other frustrations that happen when a tool goes out of square and you don't realize till its too late. For too many years I looked at Starrett as an over priced ripoff, then all the frustrations added up, all the time I spent through the years not to mention all the money I spent buying different squares.

All that being said I know Rob Cosman just had in a video that PEC Tools has nice squares, he was referred to them by another woodworker that has experience with them. A 12" is $52 plus change plus they have several different sizes. One other thing if you don't want to shell out the money for a quality square and don't care if its a combo square do a search for Precision Steel Squares at ptreeusa, they only have a 3 pc set but I know I have seen them elsewhere individually for about thirty dollars, they are one piece so they can't go out of square. I think I may get one for my son soon, he is 12 and dropsy so this should be perfect for him. I have had engineering squares in the past but one fall off the bench and they are a paper weight. Good luck!

I think it really depends on how you work and how often you really use a square. Squares dont cut wood but they are used to adjust your tools. I leave my squares in the fancy protective boxes and use an elcheapo around the shop for transfering marks but really never use it as a square. I cant remember the last time I actually used a square to do anything other than setup a machine. Im sure the hand tool guys may actually use them diaily.

Don

I use my combo squares constantly... Not just for square or 45, but for measuring distance, depth, offset, and thickness, but also marking out, math calculations, and checking pretty much everything I'm working with. It's my square, ruler, straight edge, depth setter, caliper, marking gauge... There are many tools in catalogs that can all be eliminated by a good combo square.

I use a 6" most often, followed by a 12" that also has 18 and 24 inch blades. I also have some 4 and 6 inch doubles for when I need more settings maintained.

If I couldn't have another Starrett, I'd definitely check out the PEC variants, including the Lee Valley versions. I own the Lee Valley versions, and I've used several other PEC versions, including Wood River, and they're quite nice.

If you don't use it a lot, an expensive square is a waste. If you do, you'll appreciate smooth movement, the ability to set and hold settings, etched and engraved markings, and swappable parts every time you use the good tool.

• Like 1

The second best combo square if you aren't getting a new Starrett is to

Buy a used Starrett...

I got mine from the 'bay and for a song (and a dance... roughly $30) and some evaporust/scrubbing I was in business.

$10 (plus shipping) later I also got a 6 inch used Starrett...

I wouldn't trade either of them for 10 of any other combo squares I've used.

Plus the patina is pretty sweet...

From this...

Capture.jpg

To this...

P10400331024x768.jpg

P10400351024x768.jpg

Lawrence

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

They recommend PEC (Products Engineering Corp.), for both the simple (2-piece) 12" combination square, and the 4" double square.  I personally have used an age-old 8" combination square and find it to be a good length, but I have little confidence in the square. having come down from my Grandfather.

I've got a few squares. Personally I don't think the adjustable squares are good for setting up tools. However I've got a few of those for marking. For setting up tools I use an Empire 122 Aluminum tri square I bought at home depot. I also have the woodpeckers precision triangle, which I use for checking square on smaller cases/boxes. 

For the price you can't beat the Empire I paid 12 bucks for it and it's dead on. 

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Empire-True-Blue-Heavy-Duty-Square-122/202035308?cm_mmc=Shopping%7cBase&gclid=CjwKEAjwj9GqBRCRlPram97Xk3ESJADrN7Ie92gxmAsODk-pR6-DnRyzAw5m_gYueirQkkzUTCQ-OhoCCVvw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

About Empire Level:

A while ago I bought a 6" and a 12" Empire combo squares from Amazon. The 6 incher was dead on while the 12 incher was not. I contacted Empire's customer service and got no response whatsoever. So I returned it and bought a 12" Starrett, the forged 3 heads combo set. Do I really need it? i don't think so, but I love it.

Other experience with Swanson vs Empire: My Swanson 7" rafter square is dead on, while my Empire 12 incher is not (found this out when checking against my Starrett). It's a rafter square anyways, doesn't need to be absolutely square, but still hurts each time I  use it.

So I don't trust Empire, I won't buy any more products from them.