wood working challenge

duckkisser

Ok so how about this for the challenge we all build a project that is as close to 1bf as possible without going over. you can mix woods, as long as the two or more woods does not equal more then 1bf. you can do anything you want with the wood this is just a challenge to see what people come up with to make out of what is basically scrap. we will start on the first of march and have done by the 31s that will give everyone 2 weeks to plan and then a whole month to procrastinate and make something on the 30th. remember you can turn, carve, inlay, marquetry, anything goes but plz challenge yourself. make something you have never done and try and make it unique.  If you think that this is not enough time please say so and we can extend it if no one has a problem with it. and even after the 1st anyone can still jump in. when you finish you project please post a picture of you project on the last weekend of the month.

looks like we got a few people interested already so i'm going to start making a list

1. Me an ok bent wood box

2. Rob Horton cool and usless abicus they invented a calculator like forever ago :) just kiding looks great

3. Charles Hicks

4. Customw00d

5. Dave F

6. mn pete

7. rapid roger small gun box

8. chet made a great hammer

9. Byrdie

10. imdanuts

11. indy cindy very delicate paper lantern

12. mds2 small incredible maple box

13. jhop

I'll be too busy next month to participate as well...hopefully I can in the future.

But you should make it a rule that a pic of each project be posted in this thread when it's over...not enough of that on this forum, IMO.  All talk about table saw blades and what's the best handplane, and not enough projects submitted.  Makes me feel like people are more interested in the tools than what they make with them.

aren't you more interested in tools?  i agree i'll add that to the posting up above.  like i told stahlee if you get something done let me know and i'll add you to the list for the size of the project you could make something in a weekend.  u don't really have to commit to turning in a project till 31st when you submit it and i add you to the exchange list.

OK, sign me up. I'll try anything twice.

I will warn you however, I just made a prototype of my project this past week but, I will wait until the "official" starting date before starting on my entry into the contest. I'll be using three different woods but, I'm sure the total will add up to less than a board foot. In fact, I'll give a total of each wood used and then a total of all of them put together.

Rog 

ha glad to have ya roger its ok if you want to make something you have already made before but im taking the challenge to the next level.

i think i am narrowing down what i want to make. im adding a personal challenge as well as the material challenge im going to use two brand new machines that i have just bought. A miniture router and my steam box.  one tool i have had very little use with and the other i have never realy done bending.  plus the project im making i have never even thought of making till now. so this will be inturesting because ill need to start making some wood forms for the bending and gathering material for my router :) nothing like a deadline and challenge to get me off the couch playing xbox and actualy in the shop.   

7 so far come on people jump on board it can only be a good time.

Put me down as a definite possibly maybe.  My schedule and shop is going to be jambed from now to easter.(you know because two clients have to have the projects they've been procrastinating finalizing the details on finished by Easter now even though they both started out as "I'm in no hurry, whenever it gets done is fine."  And at my day job I start the remodel of a store tomorrow that has a tight deadline and will require a lot of overtime hours to make it. )  

If you could announce the contest theme for december I'm pretty sure you could put me down for that one.

Put me down as a definite possibly maybe.  My schedule and shop is going to be jambed from now to easter.(you know because two clients have to have the projects they've been procrastinating finalizing the details on finished by Easter now even though they both started out as "I'm in no hurry, whenever it gets done is fine."  And at my day job I start the remodel of a store tomorrow that has a tight deadline and will require a lot of overtime hours to make it. )  

If you could announce the contest theme for december I'm pretty sure you could put me down for that one.

uggg i hate that if you know you want something made sit down and work out all the details that way you can get it started and built with plenty of extra opps room for any problems that come up.  seems like most people think you just sit down and pop out a piece of furniture. 

well if you get something done you just have to tell me by the 30th and you can be added to the exchange and post a picture.

glad to hear of the remodel job any work is still good work at this time.  hope you will get paid time and half for the extra hours. 

i had started playing with this idea back in december but there was a turning challenge so didnt want to double dip into the forum for this.   and usualy december is a prity busy time of the year for us to make anything extra. maybe a summer contest  but pm me if you have an idea on what would be a nice challenge build.

March just might be warm enough for me to spend some quality time in the shop (supposed to be single digits again tomorrow with sub zero wind chill) so I'll chime in.  Worst that can happen is that I don't complete and don't submit.  There's no fine if I don't finish, is there? lol j/k

I'll give it a shot.  Just to clarify - a bf = 144 cubic inches in whatever form it begins, right?

Okay, I'll join in as well.

But you need to more clearly explain.
We draw names and exchange our projects? Or we draw a name and everyone sends their project to that person? I get the 1 bf thing.
But I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with what ever I make when I'm done?

Also, can we use metal hinges, clasps, that kind of thing or only wood?

Anyway, no matter what you answer, I'll participate.

thought i would just put everyone's name in a random generating machine and then start it at the top of the list on the first posting so that i get matched up with the first name generated. i send my project to that person and they send there project to me.  second name on the generated list gets sent to the second person on the first posting list.  if i get any duplicate names like chet project goes to chet then ill just reroll the names till none match. 

it would be no fun if one person got everything this is more about the build  challenge and exchanging iteams.

• Like 1

I'm not sending my project to anyone, I'm keeping it, and I'm not sure that I want anyone else's project either. Postage isn't a budget buster, it is just the hassle of it that I don't want. I think that just seeing pictures of the finished project and maybe a few of construction shots would satisfy my interests in the contest.

Rog