wood working challenge

duckkisser

ok how about i put it to a vote?  you dont have too exchange if you dont want too.  if there are more people then just you that dont want to exchange then we wont do it.  i dont realy care  its just for the fun of it realy. 

so with that being said who does not want to exchange projects?

ok the general thought is you guys dont want to exchange or you dont care.  many of you want to build something to use as a gift or to keep for yourself.  so we will cancel the exchange part.  but in exchange when you post pictures plz tells us how you built it and what problems you had. 

oh and you have to go to the nearest mall and hug a stranger :) na just kiding but do hug a loved one.

• Like 1

its small projects so you might be able to make something stahlee if you make something when you get back let me know and ill add you to the list. 

if you don't get it done in time then you can use it as a gift.

Duck, I gave it some thought and I won't have enough time to work on a project in March.  Just a rough month with vacation, a work trip and two big projects do for school.  Count me in on the next one.  I do looking forward to the projects that manifest from these challenges.

march first is in the morning  and i plan on jumping in right away in the morning.  i have to admit i started early to start making my jig to prep the shop for my project.  hopefully my wood wont break for the project that i have in mind since i only have two pieces to work with.  cross your fingers guys because if it breaks ill have to start over with something totaly different.

I wish I would have held off on making this little box last week.  My son had two snow days, so darn it, I had to stay home from work.  I made a little box out of some scrap maple.  Next challenge, I'm in.

HEY!!! Nothing says you can't make another one starting tomorrow!!

Go ahead and join in. I'm sure you got another idea while you were making the first one, I do that all the time. And if nothing else, try another finish or change the size in some way. It is amazing what you can do with a WHOLE board foot of material.

Rog

mds2 i dont care join in and eather show what you just made or make another this is just for the fun of it project like to see what people can come up with i bet out of all the things made for this none will be the same or even similar. 

OK, I've settled on building a small keepsake box, simple lines, not too ornate.

BUT... I'm cutting all the dovetails by hand. I haven't hand cut dovetails in 20 years...

And I may do some intarsia on the lid.....

What am I getting myself into.....

• 2 weeks later...

post-2771-0-67780700-1363004658_thumb.jp

Okay, this took less than a board foot.

I built it last week and actually used it a ton this weekend.
I needed a better mallet for guiding chisels and the like, so I figured as long as we are doing the 1 board foot challenge...

The mallet is made from left over mahagony and purpleheart, with a maple dowel. It took me less than a hour of shop time.

If you look closely I think you can tell that I've used it a bunch already. I tried to take the picture so that the business face of the mallet could be seen.

Just a side note, purpleheart makes a great mallet head. It is very hard and very heavy. Up until now I've only used maple mallets, but I think I like this better.

I welcome your replies and comments.

I might be in. So we have until the end of the month? 144 cubic inches of wood, had a great idea last night and if I get the big project in the shop done I am going to go for it!

I worked on the mallet at the same time I was working on my Roubo... yeah, I'm that far behind. I'm also working on the roubo at the same time working on a small project for a client. I don't know if you are a focus on one thing until its done sort of guy, or if you are like me and like to have 2 or 3 projects going at the same time. But I like the multiple project at once approach. Having said that, I only like one of the projects to be what I'd call "difficult". For example right now the roubo is the difficult project I'm working on. The project for my client is simple. And the mallet... well, I'm not sure anything gets more simple than that.

I treat the simple projects kinda like a warm up. If you compare woodworking to exercising, I always find its nice to "warm up" and to "cool down" after a challenging workout. It also gives me something to do "while the glue dries".