wood working challenge

duckkisser

i built a jig to bend mine and in order to cut the lid off i had to put my project back on my jig and then cut it in half on my table saw.  now the jig that i spent 2 hours making and was perfect now has groves across the entire side of the jig. thinking i should not have spent so much time sanding it to get it nice ans smooth so i could slide it on and off.

UGGG  bad night for wood working got alot done but i also had alot of problems.  im working with very challenging wood.  its about 2/16 thick walls and the lid and bottom is probably 1/4 thick.  and im making a bent box out of it. so there is always a risk of the wood breaking which it did at least twice but i was able to glue it back together.  

my box top did not fit the sides just right because im bending the wood rather then using strait boards.  so it was a more organic construction techneque rather then assemble part A with part B. to make a square box. 

because the top did not match the sides i had to force the sides closer to the top with nails.  because i could not find tiny nails that were very short like 1/4 long i had to make my own.  so after cuting and sanding a point on around 40 tiny 1" brad nails i was cross eyeed and my mood was just plane cross.  then i began to tack the side to the top and bottom and had 3 nails blow out on me because i was too stubern to think it through and get a tiny drill bit as a pilot hole.

because im working with tiny nails i used needle knose pliers to hold the nails and i used a small coble hammer to tap the nails in. 

now my box has 3 small hole in the top that i have to figure out how to hide since i cant find filler to ever match correctly i am thinking of using stone to

make some decrative inlays on the top.    

finaly i started to bend some thin strips of wood to use as the lip on my box to keep the lid in place.  but all my strips broke so now im stuck trying to figure out how to hold the lid in place without wood to bend around and hold my lid in place. thinking ill have to attach a leather hinge that will tie the  lid to the box.  so while i prefer to have the lid be tight and sequrely attached to base i think this box will have a lose lid that will just hinge losely and hold its contents inside. 

ok im posting my project early since im quite happy with it and i want to show off.  keep in mind that im using totaly new material,  never bent wood before  my sides are quarter sawn white oak., using a new tool my mini router with limited practice, using wood that i have never worked with my lid and bottom is IPE   the blue stone is chrysocolla, my butterfly is brass from a key cuting machine(sadly they dont have the reflective gold coloring of brass in the photo),  the center of my flowers is talcum powder,  also the sides of my box are very thin only 1/16 thick

DSCN0305_zpsf7e7618b.jpg

DSCN0306_zps89efbc59.jpg

DSCN0308_zps98909182.jpg

DSCN0309_zps93927c76.jpg

• Like 1

Nope, not pencil toppers.

When oiling small parts such as this, it's easiest to dunk everything in a jar and leave it soak.  Just be certain to attach a string so you can fish it out later.

IMG_8656.JPG

The blue stone looks way cool on the box.  Something I'll have to try on the next project.

i put the shading on the stone with a bald diamond dremel bit the spinning steel burnt the stone rather then grind it down.  it was a fluke but it still worked. Rob if you get inturested in inlay let me know ill give a list of stuff that i have found cheap.