Imajalapeno

Help With Ballista Plans

Hello there, I need some help with plans for a ballista( a big crossbow). It's for my friends larping thing in Harrisonburg Va. It needs to be small enough to fit in a 6th bed and fire a javelin(which weighs about 2-4 pounds). Any and all recommendations are welcome, thank you.

The problem comes that the bow needs to be able to fire the javelin.  Yet in order to get that, it needs to be able to bend, flex, and be pretty much one piece.  (Laminations can be done with bolts, but the bolted areas become weak points.)

Going by theory here, you could set it up as a tripod or easle stand, a long body to hold the bolt, and then a two or three part bow.  Or, for convenience sake, take a look at the Mythbuster's design/video on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DvdKvdoViI.  While not specifically a ballista, you might find some inspiration.

hey i thouht my comment was the most entertaining..............after all how often do people make there own war machines?

One thing to consider - it's just just "how can I build a ballista" - it's also "how can I build a ballista that will throw a projectile while not hurting the other guy." Check out this article at Ars Technica for some details about a bigger LARP. They mention ballistas specifically on page 3. Obviously, I don't think you're going to be using the leaf spring from a truck, but still...

I saw something like this on Montey Python and the Holy Grail. Do you shoot the javelins while they are still alive or do you kill them first.

Ima, I think there were several videos on building one of these on one of the British archaeology websites. I don't recall which one, but if you google it, you should find something on "siege machines".