TexWood's Door Design ?

TexWood

OK, I'm building a Wall-Hanging Jewelry Cabinet, so my dimensions are a little smaller (approx 24" X 17 3/4"). I designed the doors to be 3/4" thick, but after milling the stock it seem a little beefy for the 1 1/2 & 2" rails and stiles. Since the doors will be 22 3/4" tall, does anyone see any concerns if I reduce the thickness to 1/2"; or maybe I should only have a single door with wider components and keep the 3/4" thickness.

If you would like to provide some input, you can also reference the attached SketchUp file (be kind, this is only the 2nd design I have done in SketchUp...lol).

Thanks,

TexWood

GG JB_02.skp

Kyle, that's a pretty dang good model for your second time out! Nothing to be ashamed of there, buddy!

I like that the lower rails are taller than the upper rails. I think you should keep the double doors, but I see what you mean about them looking a little thick at 3/4". With a 1/4" thick panel in the door, stiles and rails that are 1/2" thick would only have 1/8" of material left on each side of the panel groove, which sounds a little thin to me. How about splitting the difference and going with 5/8" thick rails & stiles, so you have a little more support for the panel?

Thanks for the SketchUp compliment oh great one :-)

I do have this new fangled drum sander I bought last month, so I could conceivably reduce the thickness of the pannel. What I'm most concerned with is the door eventally bowing due to only a 1 1/2" X 1/2" stile that is 23 3/4" long. So I think your 5/8" idea maybe the ideal solution.

Thanks again,

Kyle