Finishing lime wood

Modestas Gilys

Hello all :) i'm new here and i need help and tips.

I'm beginner in wood carving and i'm in last year at school.Now i'm carving my designed clock from lime wood (it's best for small ornaments carving for beginner) and i need to finish it.i need suggestions how to finish it ( what varnishes or oils i should use?).i want that wood would become darker (brown colour) but ramain like wood ( not to shining just darken wood).Lime wood dont have any beauty in its fibers but i used it because it soft wood.so i'm looking forward to here any tips,thx

if somebody want picture of my (Unfinished :D ) clock tell me and i will upload it.

P.S. sorry for my english, it issn't realy good ;)

You can use Tung Oil, Boiled Linseed Oil, or make a blend of one of those oils and varnish. You can thin the blend with mineral spirits if you want a finish that has less thickness. For any of these, apply with a rag or brush, let sit for 10 minutes and then wipe completely clean. You can do more coats like this if you want more finish thickness. Wait 24 hours between coats.