Last step!

KristyR

Sorry to keep bothering you guys but your knowledge has been priceless to me so far.   Per your instructions, I got the perfect glaze and with a little time and patience, replicated it perfectly.  Now the hardest step for me so far- the finishing!  The table is gorgeous but it doesn't need any more amber so I feel I need to steer clear of Linseed oil?  I used one coat of water based stain just to give it a little umph which limits me to what I can finish with.  These pics are the original finish and I would like to replicate as closely as possible.  Any suggestions?  Water based poly?  Matte?  Semi-gloss?  Just a side note, husband says there is no way this table is authentic because, although wood through and through, it is way too light....so maybe not as old as I thought and possibly updated finish technique???

post-15307-0-50579500-1395080560_thumb.j

post-15307-0-82166600-1395080591_thumb.j

post-15307-0-98399800-1395080606_thumb.j

post-15307-0-40123200-1395080619_thumb.j

I'm not sure what you mean by authentic? The table is veneered likely over particle board or even poplar and given a solid wood edge. Think of it as saving the forest. Your limited with solid wood because of wood movement.  There's a lot of toner and glaze on here that I can't even tell what veneer that it.

Now you can't use a water based finish over lin seed oil (so they say) without a barrier coat which to the average consumer is shellac. Did the stain dry properly over the oil? Normally lin seed oil will have adhesion problems without letting it probably dry and cure. 

I'd also recommend a satin top coat because a high sheen will show scratches more in refinishing.