Finishing an outdoor cedar table. Questions.

mgh-pa

I'm finishing up a project for my wife. It's a simple WRC outdoor patio table. I'm wanting to retain the natural light color of the wood, but want to protect it from UV/Water as well as wear seeing as it's a table. I see a lot of mixed recommendations from BLO, to a Sikkens product, to transparent stains, etc. I would prefer to stick with oils I believe since I don't (correct me if I'm wrong) need to worry about a wood conditioner then. Additionally, oils seem to be easier to reapply as the years go apply as opposed to something like a Spar finish.

So do I need an oil and a topcoat? Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2016 at 9:38 PM, mgh-pa said:

I'm finishing up a project for my wife. It's a simple WRC outdoor patio table. I'm wanting to retain the natural light color of the wood, but want to protect it from UV/Water as well as wear seeing as it's a table. I see a lot of mixed recommendations from BLO, to a Sikkens product, to transparent stains, etc. I would prefer to stick with oils I believe since I don't (correct me if I'm wrong) need to worry about a wood conditioner then. Additionally, oils seem to be easier to reapply as the years go apply as opposed to something like a Spar finish.

So do I need an oil and a topcoat? Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Good question.  I was researching the same thing for a cedar table I'm about to build.

Found these links:

https://www.in-depthoutdoors.com/community/forums/topic/ftlgeneral_811495/

http://www.realcedar.com/decking/finishing/

And I've called these guys and they seem to know a good bit about dealing with cedar wood.

If you have any pics post them up, I'd like to see them.  I'm looking to build a grilling table for a green egg, but still working through the idea.

Getting a few ideas from pinterest

Grant

• Like 1