Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tonywill

Finish for Cypress?

7 posts in this topic

I made a couple of Adirondack chairs out of cypress. I didn't apply any finish to them. After a couple of months of use they've developed checks and cracks.

Two years ago I made the same chairs out of cedar. They've held up well with no splits.

Was it a mistake to use cypress? How can I save them? What finish should I use?

Was it a mistake to use cypress? How can I save them? What finish should I use?

138 views and no responses. :^(

I made a couple of Adirondack chairs our of Cypress and I used the "Desert Finish" Mark used for a exterior door. It was naptha, spar and BLO if I remember. They have lived outside for almost a year now and seem to be doing well. A little faded but not bad.

-Gary

I am a huge fan of Sikkens. I use Cetol 1 as a primer and Cetol 23 as a second and may be a third coat.

I built some gates out of cypress and did not have any problems. Sorry to hear about your checks ...

Shannon has built some projects out of Cypress ... I think ... and if I am not mistaken he never finished them and they aged gracefully

I've had GREAT results finishing Cypress with PENOFIN. I built some large exterior doors for the basement of my shop with Cytress ... slathered on two coats of PENOFIN ... and they still look great 5 years later. Now that you mention it, I think I'll give 'em another coat or two just because I have it on hand.

I went with two coats of Cetol SRD. Time will tell.

Thanks for the advice!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Popular Now

• Topics

• Best way to flatten this island
      NP shaneymack.  But if OP has a planer that would fit that slab I'd love to see a picture!
      Personally I'd shim it, find your lowest spot that you're matching and take really light passes with a router sled. With the end grain, I'd still be a little concerned with chip out hence the light passes.  Your 150/5 should clean it up ok from there. 
      Well, F me. The most obvious answer was staring me in the face, and it took Neil D to point it out. I loathe jig building, but I think you are right. The router sled is probably the way to go here.
      Depending on the size of. Your drum sander and the size of the top you could tape some long ripped shims to the bottom to hold the top equal and then take light passes with coarse grit paper to work out the curve in the top.  A level infeed and outfeed table connected into a "U " shape will make the repeated passes much easier . 2 men on the sander to prevent it from stalling and sanding a big divot In your top. It's not easy, it is time consuming, be careful !
    • Beginner table fustrated
      Don't get discouraged. You'll get there! Everyone starts somewhere, and if it was easy enough to just pick up your first project and create a masterpiece, everyone would be doing it... and This site wouldn't exist, and no one would sell books, and videos, and tons of tools to make it easier!   Don't assume your Miter saw is square from the Factory.  I used to have a Craftsman saw that was impossible to get dialed in and stay there. My Dewalt is much better, but still took some tweaking out of the box. Check it with a drafting square as mentioned. I would think you should be able to pull the head down so the teeth are below the table and behind the fence.  Also make sure it's square 90 degrees from the table.   Remember 1/2 a degree off on a cut adds up quickly when building a frame.  Once you know that is all straight, then when cutting make sure you're not bumping your stop block out of position. ( I had a work stop on my milling machine once making identical parts and didn't notice I neglected to tighten it until all of my parts were different lengths)!  Then as mentioned before check your diagonals when clamping. Also, It took me a few joints the first time I used the Kreg to figure out clamping so parts didn't drift when assembling.   Just know that what you're trying to do is possible to accomplish, you just need to find out what is throwing you off.
  • Popular Contributors

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room