Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tonywill

Finish for Cypress?

7 posts in this topic

I made a couple of Adirondack chairs out of cypress. I didn't apply any finish to them. After a couple of months of use they've developed checks and cracks.

Two years ago I made the same chairs out of cedar. They've held up well with no splits.

Was it a mistake to use cypress? How can I save them? What finish should I use?

Was it a mistake to use cypress? How can I save them? What finish should I use?

138 views and no responses. :^(

I made a couple of Adirondack chairs our of Cypress and I used the "Desert Finish" Mark used for a exterior door. It was naptha, spar and BLO if I remember. They have lived outside for almost a year now and seem to be doing well. A little faded but not bad.

-Gary

I am a huge fan of Sikkens. I use Cetol 1 as a primer and Cetol 23 as a second and may be a third coat.

I built some gates out of cypress and did not have any problems. Sorry to hear about your checks ...

Shannon has built some projects out of Cypress ... I think ... and if I am not mistaken he never finished them and they aged gracefully

I've had GREAT results finishing Cypress with PENOFIN. I built some large exterior doors for the basement of my shop with Cytress ... slathered on two coats of PENOFIN ... and they still look great 5 years later. Now that you mention it, I think I'll give 'em another coat or two just because I have it on hand.

I went with two coats of Cetol SRD. Time will tell.

Thanks for the advice!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Popular Now

• Topics

• How Clean on Table Saw top?
      I have had luck using Scotchbrite pads with WD40. Spray the WD40 on the table top then use the Scotchbrite to dissolve the rust. if you have quite a bit of rust, a good trick is to use an electric sander with the Scotchbrite to make it go fast (I have used an old vibrating sander and just set it on top of the scotchbrite pad. Once you have it down to bare metal, be sure to use something to reseal the cast iron so it doesn't rust (I use Boeshield T9 in my shop)
    • A place for butts. *Bench*
      " buttcrack of Kentucky. South Central area, about 1 hour and 20 minutes from Nashville"   Thanks for narrowing it down so much, Carmen Sandiego.   Sourcing good lumber is part of the hobby and if you have to drive an hour or two, so be it.  Considering a full size furniture project might take me 3-6 months to complete I don't mind driving a few hours to get starated.   How far is Knoxville, TN?    
    • Kitchen remodel/countertop build
      Probably wet; however, waterlox says it will lose some gloss overtime as it 100% cures. Atleast, that is what my cans have said. It is a weird product though. Cliff, I dont know how you are doing it, but when I use it i flood the crap out of the surface on the first and second coats. Third coat is a typical brush on quantity. Fourth is when I sand, fifth is super thin wiped on. MAKE SURE YOU LET IT CURE BEFORE SANDING. This has to be the slowest drying finish on the market. Also, dont sand and immediately apply the final coat. Sand, wait a few hours/a day and then apply the coat. Sanding it can open up uncured portions of the finish and it will wrinkle on you. You have been through hell on this one, I feel your pain. Rarely does a counter/island project go 100% smoothly. Last night I jacked up a 3x7 walnut island when it went into the drum sander without proper support and had the rear drum gouge it for 5-6". Really makes you want to give up on woodworking when projects go tragically wrong like some things in this journal. 
    • My first picture frames, and why they failed
      I covered it with 1/4 inch thick curly maple, lol.
    • A place for butts. *Bench*
      There is always a use for maple in my shop.  It is my 'primary' secondary wood.  Web frames, internal structure, back slats, etc.  That price is not quite half what I pay and I would grab some while the gettin's good. Hickory works a lot like pecan; close cousins but, different woods. Very hard and tough on your cutters.  The results can be pleasing but, easier woos to work would be my suggestion.  Please do give us your general location so we can help you find a source for material.  
  • Popular Contributors

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room