Dust Collection conundrum

bobwax

Hi Guys,

I've been working on improving the dust collection in my basement shop. I am working now on my Ridgid Sliding Miter Saw.

Currently I am planning to build a tent like enclosure to fit the rear. I plan to remove the bag and the plastic guide and let the dust go where it may. The housing will have a "Big Gulp" attached to my 2 hp Harbor Freight DC.

My concern is the placement of the Gulp. Initially I was going to put it at the rear, but the bottom makes some sense.

I am open to any and all ideas. Thanks.

Bob

This is one of the reasons I no longer bother with an SCMS in my shop. I crosscut on the table saw. For long boards, I simply counterweight the crosscut sled. I rough cut stock with a jigsaw or hand saw. Once I got a dust shell built around mine, it took up too much space for the work provided. The Big Gulp helps, but it needs to be directly behind the blade, so you spend as much time moving the hood as you do cutting.

I use my SCMS outside of the shop all the time, but I set it up in a area where the mess won't bother me.

I was lucky enough to get a private tour of Tyme's amazing shop a while back. His dust collection system is very impressive, as evidenced by the "operating room" appearance.

He cut a few pieces on the miter saw for us, and the dust collection was so good and quick that we never saw any. In addition to the curtain, the back of the enclosure drops down into a deep funnel with a 4" duct hooked to it. The dust simply has nowhere else to go.

joraft-albums-my-photos-picture2450-tymes-miter-saw.jpg

SandingTable1.jpg

That's real? The place was soooo clean and well-labelled, I thought the video was some sort of "Portlandia" style spoof! :D

Yep, it's real. Tyme (the only name he goes by) is an absolute nut about labeling and organizing everything. And as an inhalation therapist, he's also a fanatic about dust. We spent almost a full day there and the guy has about a bazzilion ideas about building a shop. He spent several years planning his, and a full year of concentrated effort to build it from the ground up.

Talk about anal, check out the color matched gates and sanders. :) The two sets of air lines are because one carries a light oil mist for the air tools.

SandingTable2.jpg

RouterTable3.jpg

RouterTable2.jpg

• Like 1

Id love to know where he got those hoses. I just bought a new compressor and a herd of dynabrade sanders. Those sure would make a sweet install.

Don

Don I currently work in a shop with all Dynabrade RO sanders and they are awesome! Comfortable to hold and the sanding quality is second to none it really makes me hate my RO sanders in my shop. I want to get a few but the CFM requirement is pretty high between 14 to 16 CFM.

Don I currently work in a shop with all Dynabrade RO sanders and they are awesome! Comfortable to hold and the sanding quality is second to none it really makes me hate my RO sanders in my shop. I want to get a few but the CFM requirement is pretty high between 14 to 16 CFM.

They are sweet. Im moving my finishing offsite to my warehouse. I bought a big open face, 15hp rotory compressor and 5 dynabrades. Next comes a central vac but sure would love to find those hoses. Been looking for a month with no real luck.

Don

I did, Thank you. Cost to much for me. I can have them custom made for $250 but even that seems high so it just may be velcro straps. :) $2500 in hoses is more than the vac unit. :)

Don

I'm a Velcro guy myself!

It's too bad you couldn't buy just the "cuffs" and insert your existing air hose into your existing vacuum hoses.

The Wap Alto vacuum that turns on and off when you start the air sander is pretty cool, though.