12" Disc Sander?

DeanJackson

I have one of those combo 6" belt/6" disc sanders. The belt isn't so great for what I use it for, but I use the disc a lot. My neighbor wanted to buy the thing, so I'm considering selling it and buying a 12" disc sander.

I have 110v available.

I see Delta, Grizzly, Rikon, etc, all around $200. I see a few up around $400 or so. Is there any reason - for an amateur - to want the $400 one? As long as I'm doing this, I want to do it exactly once, but can't figure out if/how/why the bigger one is much better, in this case. Advice? :-)

I have one of those combo 6" belt/6" disc sanders. The belt isn't so great for what I use it for, but I use the disc a lot. My neighbor wanted to buy the thing, so I'm considering selling it and buying a 12" disc sander.

I have 110v available.

I see Delta, Grizzly, Rikon, etc, all around $200. I see a few up around $400 or so. Is there any reason - for an amateur - to want the $400 one? As long as I'm doing this, I want to do it exactly once, but can't figure out if/how/why the bigger one is much better, in this case. Advice? :-)

This is not a direct answer to your question, but something else to think about. You could build your own 12” disc sander. The idea here is that you could build one for little money to see if you find it useful.

American Woodworker magazine article.

Probably more what you’re looking for.

Small disk sander build.

Home Shop Machinist forum post (if you’re into machining metal that is). He includes a link to his web page on his build (after the third picture).

Google Image search on “homebuilt disk sander”.

• 3 weeks later...

To be fair, I should say "I want to do this no more than twice"; already did this once and got it not-quite-right. :-)

Thinking the $200 ones are more than enough for me.

Consider the HF one. I think I got out the door for $119 (with the 20%) discount for a 1HP, 12" sander. I've completely dismantled one (I cannibalized it for other purposes) and found it was on the better end of the Chinese tool quality spectrum.

Consider the HF one. I think I got out the door for $119 (with the 20%) discount for a 1HP, 12" sander. I've completely dismantled one (I cannibalized it for other purposes) and found it was on the better end of the Chinese tool quality spectrum.

Saw the $225 Delta one last night at Rockler, and wasn't super-impressed. It didn't do anything wrong, at least.

The HF one have dust collection of any kind?

The HF one have dust collection of any kind?

No, it looks just like the Grizzly. I don't think I've ever seen a 12" disc sander with dust collection on it. I've considered that HF one a couple of times, it looks pretty solid, plus my mechanic has it (albeit not for woodworking) and says it runs like a champ. My main concern would be the flatness of the disc and the table.

No, it looks just like the Grizzly. I don't think I've ever seen a 12" disc sander with dust collection on it. I've considered that HF one a couple of times, it looks pretty solid, plus my mechanic has it (albeit not for woodworking) and says it runs like a champ. My main concern would be the flatness of the disc and the table.

The Delta and Jet 12" discs have a dust collection port on them, just not sure how well a job it actually does. :-) I work in my basement, so that's at least a little important, unless I want to do a *lot* of cleanup after the fact.

The Delta and Jet 12" discs have a dust collection port on them, just not sure how well a job it actually does. :-) I work in my basement, so that's at least a little important, unless I want to do a *lot* of cleanup after the fact.

Yeah I missed that. The HF actually does as well. I'm not sure what I was thinking when I posted my previous response. I blame the lack of drugs! :P.