New LN Purchase

woodhack

So, I went to the Lie-Neilsen demo at Cerritos College just to check out their planes. I'm planning on building a slab dining room table by the end of the year and I wanted to check out a number 5 or a number 6 to use to smooth and level (somewhat) the top. Plus both of those were in my budget.

Well, when I started talking about what I wanted to use the plane for, this guy named Chuck picked up a number 7 to show me. I immediately think the guy is on a commission and trying to squeeze another $100 out of me. Don't get me wrong, the 7 is a real nice looking plane but I didn't want to spend that much extra right now so soon after Christmas.

Then I picked it up....

It instantly felt like I had owned the plane for decades and I was effortlessly creating the finest shavings I had ever created. For a large and fairly heavy plane it felt balanced and smooth. It was a revelation and now I know what all of the other Neanderthals are talking about when they say you have to hold the plane in your hand before you buy it.

$425 later, my new #7 should be in my hands in 7 to 10 days. :)

I don't know what other planes you own or how much experience you have with hand panes in general, but you will love this one. Over the years I've collected a few LN planes (and others of similar quality), they make it fun. When a new LN plane arrives I know it's true and square all I have to do is put the final share and honing on the iron. Just tonight I finished shaping and honing the iron from a new Large Router plane and a replacement iron for my Low Angle Smoothing plane.

Once they a re tuned and in the cabinet I know they are ready for work, no fussing or screwing around, just grab 'em and start planing. Enjoy

Yeah Chet, I know...

One weird thing though was Chuck tried to interest me in the low angle jack plane and that thing felt like crap to me. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice plane and all but it just felt like I had to do too much work for it do it's job. Whereas the #7 felt like it was doing all of the work and I was just pushing the handle through.

Welcome to the LN world. I own a Nbr. 8 and if you don't have a smoother ... Nbr. 4-1/2 is a good tool to consider next to clean cuts from your table saw.

I learned at the Cerritos demo how to use my float. Sometimes I am really stupid and buy a tool knowing that will use it later and in this case ... my float sat on my bench for a while. I thought it was for cleaning through tenons and is also great to clean the end grain cuts as a smoother.

Enjoy your investment. I was told that LN planes hold their value better than most other ones, I have no idea how do other planes sell used. ... not that I want to sell any of mine but if you make a mistake you can always get most of your money back.