Virtual collaboration and schooling

jhl.verona

On the Italian woodworking forum I follow there has been some discussion (and offers) for real and virtual schooling.

Some of the 'masters' have offered schooling, but the problem is with timing, distance and cost - even though the schooling is being offered free, there are always organisation problems.

To maximise the schooling 'offer' I am trying to think of ways to virtualise this. The problrm is that she who knows woodworking, knows little of computers - though they post on the forums. He who knows about computers, knows little of woodworking. Additionally, people get easily scared off if they think that there will be a lot of work involved. So can the two groups collaborate?

Of the three major media; written word, audio and video, I think written is the easiest. To collaborate perhaps a combination of OpenOffice.org and google docs? I will get in touch with the admin to allow uploads of PDF and SKP files - currently only images can be uploaded.

I'm not sure if audio is the right media, and video would require 'pairing'; someone who knows woodworking, and someone who can handle a camera, lights, microphone and editing. Can't really see that happenng 'real soon now', but where could the videos be housed, and what editing programs used?

For coursework, perhaps Skype can be used to discuss problems, and show the results. Either one on one, or small (3-4) groups. What software could be used to record the sessions?

I've thought about a Wiki, but I haven't found a reliable hosting site - and I'm always afraid of them disappearing overnight.

Any other ideas I can propose?

TIA

John